In accordance with the Vision, Purpose, and Values, and strategic direction of Island Health (Vancouver Island Health Authority), patient and staff safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone; as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
Reporting to a Manager, HR Client Services, the HR Advisor, under the guidance of HR Consultants, provides HR advice and counsel to clients with the purpose of improving service, achieving goals and resolving issues. With support from the HR Consultants and other HR professionals, the HR Advisor provides knowledge and expertise on all aspects of the employment relationship including recruitment and retention, work design, job development and classification, team development, performance management, employee engagement, and change and transition. The HR Advisor also provides interpretation and advice related to collective agreements, non-contract terms and conditions, legal statues and organizational policy and collaborates with Managers to negotiate resolution to straightforward labour relations issues.
The HR Advisor works closely in collaboration with HR Managers, HR Consultants and LR Specialists to provide guidance to a select client group with the goal of expanding HR expertise, knowledge and experience to support increasingly complex portfolios.
Education, Training And Experience
A level of education, training and experience equivalent to a Bachelor's degree in a related area such as Human Resource or Business Administration and three (3) years' recent related experience with a large, multi-union organization, preferably within a health care or public sector environment.
Skills And Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of human resource methods and practices
- Ability to consult, coach, and facilitate
- Ability to build and maintain relationships and communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Process-oriented with strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Influencing and negotiation skills
- Commitment to client service, teamwork, and collaboration
- Ability to organize work and manage competing and shifting priorities
- Ability to manage self in a variety of situations and teams, maintaining a high level of professionalism