Requisition ID: 278686
Position Number: 20001106
Posting End Date: August 18, 2021
Site: WRHA Corporate
Work Location: 650 Main Street
Department / Unit: Communications
Job Stream: Non-Clinical
Anticipated Start Date: 09/07/2021
Anticipated Shift: Days
Daily Hours Worked: 7.75
Annual Base Hours: 2015
Grow your career in the Winnipeg Health Region! Our team provides a spectrum of health care services through an integrated network of sites, services and organizations. We're united by a shared commitment to excellent and equitable health care.
Under the general direction of the Director, Media Relations, the Communications Specialist will:
- Develop appropriate and timely responses to media inquires as part of the management of daily media inquiries;
- Develop and implement long-term media projects (Nursing Week, site openings, program expansions and other announcements);
- Work with and provide support to WRHA site and facility communications representatives with similar issues.
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in a communications position that required dealing with the media on a regular basis, preferably in a corporate and/or health care setting.
- Experience in leading communication initiatives, acting with integrity and trust, working in a team environment, communicating clearly in a fast-paced environment is essential.
- An acceptable combination of education and experience will be considered.
- A post-secondary degree in journalism, communications, public relations, marketing or a related field required.
- Membership in Health Care Public Relations Association (HCPRA) preferred. Membership in International Association of Business Communicators (IABC) or Canadian Public Relations Society (CPRS) would be an asset.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to work effectively with staff at all levels within the organization.
- Demonstrated ability in working with sensitive and confidential materials.
- Proven skill in writing, editing and strategic media and communication planning.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Ability to coordinate multiple communication tasks in a fast paced environment.
- Training in electronic office applications, including Microsoft Word, Excel, GroupWise, and PowerPoint. Training in the use of Desktop Publishing, Graphic Design software would be an asset.
- Working knowledge of Facebook, Twitter and Social Media would also be an asset.
This position requires a current satisfactory Criminal Records Check (including Vulnerable Sector Search), Child Abuse Registry Check and Adult Abuse Registry Check as conditions of employment. The successful candidate will be responsible for any service charges incurred. A security check is considered current if it was obtained no more than six (6) months prior to the start of employment.
Please note that an employee is not permitted to hold two or more positions across the WRHA legal entity that combine to equal more than 1.0 EFT. The WRHA legal entity includes Churchill Health Centre, Deer Lodge Centre, Grace Hospital, Middlechurch Home of Winnipeg, Pan Am Clinic, River Park Gardens, Victoria General Hospital, WRHA corporate programs, and WRHA community health services.
Interviewed candidates may be called upon to participate in a skills assessment.
Any application received after the closing time will not be included in the competition.
We welcome applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request during the assessment and selection process.