ABOUT FOOD BANKS CANADA
Food Banks Canada supports a unique network of over 3,000 food-related organizations in every province and territory that provides support to Canadians who visit food banks over 1.1 million times each month. Together, the network annually shares over 200 million pounds of essential safe, quality food; and provides social programs that help to foster self-sufficiency, and advocates for policy changes that will help create a Canada where no one goes hungry. Visit http://foodbankscanada.ca/ for more information.
As a Food Banks Canada team member, this role provides exceptional organizational support in the area of internal communications within the national office, with the board of directors as well as throughout the food bank network. You will be responsible for developing and implementing impactful communications in order to ensure the successful implementation of Food Banks Canada's mandate. These activities include increasing awareness of the opportunities and the value we bring to the network through communications planning, writing, editing and expansion of communications vehicles, ensuring an effective flow of information between internal stakeholders as well as a positive image of Food Banks Canada with the network.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the content development of communications material
- which includes researching and analyzing sector information, soliciting input, developing outlines, working with various internal resources for content generation, writing and editing
- Develop a variety of communications for various internal audiences utilizing diverse communications channels that include face-to-face, phone, online, print and email
- Develop regular communications
- including newsletter and special bulletins
- Develop bank of stories and testimonials to demonstrate impact
- Provide writing support to various departments and senior executives
- Attend meetings with internal stakeholders as needed and ensure timely follow-up
Communications Planning (30%)
- Lead the development of an integrated internal communications strategy and plan
- Develop and implement effective mechanisms for content generation
- Increase engagement with the network by building and supporting the network's communications capabilities through development of resources and tools.
- Identify communications opportunities and optimal time frame
- including new format testing
- Provide communications consulting to various departments and senior executives
Project Management (15%)
- Develop brief for assigned projects
- Ensure seamless project management of assigned projects
- including timeline management, production, coordination of feedback, editing, translation as required and dissemination
- Review communications material
- including proofreading and ensuring accuracy
- Steward the brand to ensure all communication meets brand identity guidelines.
Measurement Analysis/Other (10%)
- Conduct post mortems evaluations
- Provide ongoing competitive benchmarking, best practices and innovation ideas
- Evaluate communication effectiveness and adjust plan accordingly
- Back up for external communications
- Perform other duties within competence, as assigned
This job description is provided to capture the primary components of this role. It is not meant to be an exhaustive list. An individual may be required to perform other tasks which may not be listed but are consistent with the general intent of this role.
From time to time, Food Banks Canada may make changes to this job description. Reasons for such changes include, but are not limited to, changes in business processes and practices, technology changes, legal requirements, network feedback, or changes to organization structure and reporting relationships.
Education, Experience and Qualifications
- Bilingual French/English
- College or university degree in communications, journalism, public relations or marketing
- Minimum 4 years of professional experience
- with experience working with a non-profit/charitable organization an asset
- A combination of education and work experience will be considered
- Proven written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working in a team environment
- preferably for a complex organization with multiple stakeholder levels
- Experience with e-mail programs (MailChimp) and/or ability to learn CMS (content management system) and analytical tools
- Volunteer experience particularly in the area of food banks and/or hunger reduction an asset
- Committed to organizational mission of reducing hunger
- Self-starter with the ability to effectively coordinate multiple projects, deadlines and priorities
- Clear, professional and warm communicator
- Professional presence, with a positive attitude and self-starter, accountable approach
- Solid project management skills
- Problem solver and strong relationship building skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy including strong proofreading skills
- Ability to work with a wide variety of people and levels
This position is a salaried position. It has flexible hours as the nature of the work and the time zone differences must be taken into consideration when determining hours of work. It is understood that all team members are often required to work irregular hours to ensure that the objectives of the organization are being met. This includes the potential for some evenings and weekends.
- Sitting, computer and reading
- Some lifting
- moving things in and out of vehicles/buildings
This position is located at 5090 Explorer Drive in Mississauga, however due to the ongoing COVID 19 Pandemic, this role may be required to work remotely through December 31, 2020. This may be adjusted as the public health situation evolves. Following the COVID 19 accommodations, this position will be based out of the 5090 Explorer Drive location.
During the COVID 19 accommodations, the candidate must have a location within their residence (or alternate location) with appropriate work environment for required focus away from distractions to allow productivity. Food Banks Canada will provide a laptop, along with access to a VOIP phone system. Candidate is responsible for any costs related to internet access.
Training and Orientation
Orientation for this position will be provided to ensure understanding of the role, access to information required to perform the responsibilities.
Compensation will be determined by the job class and the candidates' experience and capabilities brought to the position.
The Internal Communications Officer is required to sign Confidentiality and Intellectual Property and Non-Solicitation and Conflict of Interest Agreements.
The Internal Communications Officer reports to the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer.
Interested applicant are asked to send your cover letter, resume and salary expectations to Via Isarta. No agencies please.
Deadline for applications 5 pm Friday July 10, 2020.
Food Banks Canada is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier free recruitment and selection processes. If contacted for an employment opportunity, please advise if you require accommodation.
We thank all those who apply but only those applicants who are selected for an interview will be contacted.