Newmont is the world's leading gold company and a producer of copper, silver, zinc and lead. The Company's world-class portfolio of assets, prospects and talent is anchored in favorable mining jurisdictions in North America, South America, Australia and Africa. Newmont is the only gold producer listed in the S&P 500 Index and is widely recognized for its principled environmental, social and governance practices. The Company is an industry leader in value creation, supported by robust safety standards, superior execution and technical proficiency. Newmont was founded in 1921 and has been publicly traded since 1925.
At Newmont, our purpose is to create value and improve lives through sustainable and responsible mining. One of the largest gold companies in the world, we pride ourselves on our dedication to safety, environmental management, inclusion and diversity, and adding value and opportunity to our host communities. With operations on four continents, we are honored to be named the mining industry leader by the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018, and the only one listed in the S&P 500 index. The North American region consists of multiple surface and underground operations spread throughout Northern Nevada, Canada, Mexico and the Cripple Creek and Victor Mine in Colorado.
About this role
- Are you looking for an internship opportunity starting September 2020?
- Based out of our downtown Vancouver North America Regional Office, a 4-month internship opportunity (with the possibility to extend to 8 months) is available for a current post-secondary student. Reporting to the Senior Specialist, Sustainability and External Relations (S&ER) and Senior Specialist, Internal Communications, the Intern, Sustainability Software and Digital Communications will support Newmont's S&ER and Communications teams in North America.
- This is a great opportunity for a student to gain first-hand knowledge on sustainability and communications at a global company!
In this role you will
- Support the regional and site S&ER teams to capture and manage sustainability data for the annual sustainability report, and other corporate/external reporting requirements.
- Support effective implementation of Enablon (a sustainability management software.)
- Support management and posting of articles on the company intranet (Conveyor/Prospector.)
- Build and edit engaging written content for the Huddle, our employee digital newsletter.
- Maintain and ensure brand consistency across all communication materials.
- Assist in the creation of digital design and video materials including digital signage, banners, posters, web and digital assets, branded templates, newsletters, flyers, infographics and other communications materials.
- Lead translation requests with our vendors.
- Conduct research and analysis for the regional S&ER team. (e.g., on the impact of social media.)
- Provide site S&ER teams with additional needed support (e.g., data entry, communication materials, graphic design, social media.) The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Your training skills and experience checklist
- Currently pursuing a university degree in business administration, business technology management, computer science, communications, marketing or other related fields.
- Proven interest in mining and sustainability.
- Proven creativity in a fast-paced environment (portfolio examples required.)
- Experience working with data management software (i.e. Enablon or Sharepoint.)
- Experience in data analysis and data visualization (i.e. Excel, Tableau or Piktochart.)
- Experienced in design software: Adobe Creative Suite, Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- if currently blogging (or other writing) please show portfolio examples.
- Familiar with Microsoft Office. SharePoint experience would be a bonus, although training will be provided.
- Ability to balance multiple deadlines with quick turnaround times.
- Flexible teammate with strong organizational, communication and presentation skills.
- Self-motivated and accountable.
- French and/or Spanish language skills a bonus.
Internship Program Eligibility Criteria
The successful intern must be:
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at an accredited post-secondary institution.
- Returning to school for a minimum of one semester following the completion of the internship.
- Responsible for all potential relocation expenses and living arrangements.
- Available and willing to commit to the proposed internship duration at a full-time capacity.
? Authorized to legally work full-time in Canada.
Working conditions and location
- This position will be remote initially and then will sit in the Vancouver office.
- Position may require a very minor degree of site travel based on business demands.
- Working in our inclusive environment, telephone calls or other meetings may take place before and/or after normal local business hours to accommodate other regions' work schedules and priorities.
If you have produced any digital content (e.g. blogs, videos), please list the links on your resume.
More About Newmont
- Website: http://www.newmont.com/home/default.aspx
- Lifecycle of a Mine: http://lifecycle.newmont.com/
- Blog: http://ourvoice.newmont.com/
- Annual sustainability report: http://sustainabilityreport.newmont.com/ Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that allows every person to thrive, participate, grow, and proudly play an active role in achieving our strategy.
Newmont is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, placing and promoting the best individual for each position without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnicity, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age, sexual orientation, etc.
Note: Newmont does not ask individuals to pay money to apply or be considered for employment or to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal. If you are asked to do either, do not respond and please report this immediately via Isarta.
Please ensure that you attach your resume as part of your online application. At this time, we are not accepting candidates referred by recruitment agencies.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.