Affiliation: Management & Exempt
Employment Status: Full-Time Regular
We're looking for new talent to join us as we reinvent the future of energy. Across BC, we have a diverse team of more than 2,400 employees we can't do without, yet we're growing as fast as ever.
You may think we're your standard utility that delivers natural gas and electricity, but we're also into cool, innovative energy solutions. Think carbon capture, renewable energies and lower-carbon transportation for a start. We believe in creating a cleaner, healthier tomorrow.
If you like meaningful work, a dynamic environment and forward-thinking colleagues, build your career with us. You'll get opportunities to grow, lead, solve, and create. So what are you waiting for? Let's rethink energy together.
Working in accordance with the organization's strategic vision, core values and leadership competencies and reporting to the Senior Manager, External Relations, this position is responsible to provide leadership in the effective management of FortisBC's reputation. This includes execution of corporate communications, issues management; media relations; crisis communications and emergency response.
- Provides strategic leadership in the identification and management of potential risks or issues pertaining to FortisBC’s reputation or business interests. Actively enagages with the FBC Executive Leadership Team (ELT); senior FBC departmental leadership (directors); external parties and the media in order to develop and implement successful issues management plan. Develop briefing notes and strategies for publicly addressing sensitive issues and public relations challenges for FortisBC. Actively, updates the status of isues and advises the ELT on a weekly basis.
- Develop and implement media relations strategies. Identify news stories and assign writing and distribution through news channels. The position manages a team that is required to deliver on an annual earned media target, supporting the proactive promotion of FortisBC business deliverables as set out the annual business plan. Takes responsibility for all media analysis using analytics and metrics to measure FortisBC’s earned media value. Ensure all FortisBC events have appropriate media coverage.
- Leads the development of communications and media strategies to support of all of FortisBC’s major projects. Serves as primary corporate spokesperson for all major projects issues. Provides direction for the effective development and execution of FortisBC crisis communications plan enacted, as needed, to address a variety of corporate issues. During the crisis, serves as the key spokesperson and contributes to the management of the communications and staff to ensure various stakeholder groups have accurate and timely information.
- The role is also responsible to ensure the FortisBC Public Affairs emergency Plan is implemented across all major projects and leads the message development and media relations response in this cross-funtional plan which includes team members from Communications, External Relations, Energy Solutions; Energy Efficiecy and Conservation and Market Reasearch. Manages a cross-functional team that provides 24/7 coverage for the FortisBC media line for emergency response. Shifts are managed on a weekly basis where a team member is on call and can expect to work approximately 10 hours at any time, outside of business hours, to support public affairs response for operational issues regarding our systems or services such as LNG and natural gas for transportation.
- Leads the corporate writing and strategic development of messaging for media releations as well as speeches and presentations for executive; FortisBC’s annual Corproate report and co-ordinates messaging and tone with the Manager, Corporate Communications.
- Provides direction to staff utilizing effective management techniques; maintain the quality of creative ideas, design, copywriting, proofing and editing activities and graphics production to ensure accurate and timely delivery of all communications. Coordinate and delegate work assignments to meet operational demands and stakeholder needs. Oversee the development and coordination of project requirements including timelines and resources. Promotes improved performance through counselling, coaching, training and regular assessment.
- Bachelors’ degree with specialization in political science, public relations, business, communications, or a related discipline from a recognized program plus 8 to 12 years recent, relevant work experience or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Energy industry experience would be highly desirable. Some experience in a regulated environment preferred.
- Knowledge of the British Columbia utility regulatory environment an asset.
- Knowledge of organizational goals and external operating environment
- Knowledge of public affairs strategy and internal/external communication objectives
- Strong influencing skills
- Project management skills
- Time management skills
- Print and electronic production and materials delivery skills
- Presentation and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and motivation to staff
- Demonstrated ability to develop creative strategies, initiate/champion projects, marshal resources, obtain buy-in and drive projects to successful completion
- Demonstrated ability to gauge project duration, deliver on deadline, within budget, and manage a high volume workload
- Demonstrated ability to apply quantitative and qualitative research skills in development of effective and efficient marketing communications programs
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing including the ability to write and edit sales collateral materials
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a team
Our engaging workplace offers a wide range of challenging opportunities, while being safe, inclusive and diverse. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, while supporting life-long career development. We also encourage volunteerism and nourish the need to give back to your community.