The Department of Communications Content within the Office of Advancement is currently seeking a Full-time Limited Term Motion Graphics Designer for approximately 2 years.
The Motion Graphics Designer reports to the Manager, Digital Media in the University's Office of Advancement Communications and is a part of the Content and Publications team. This position plays an instrumental role in delivering high impact content that promotes and advances the reputation of the University of Calgary. This person will work in collaboration with other members of the Advancement Communications team and will provide iterative deliverables while adhering to deadlines both long-range and short turnaround.
This position requires a focused, flexible and creative individual who works with team members to develop solid, compelling digital products to be used as stand-alone pieces and/or to complement additional content. The incumbent will be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with a variety of clients, utilizing their technical skills to produce quality pieces to be used in a variety of ways.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- 3-5 years of highly relevant experience in motion graphics, with strong knowledge and background in design and video production
- Degree or diploma in either motion design, animation, video production, multimedia, visual communication, or related field
- Expert in Adobe After Effects and Premiere
- Proficient in other Adobe Creative Suite products and/or similar software considered an asset
- Strong portfolio of work that demonstrates animation fundamentals and an expert understanding of motion dynamics, physics, and theories
- Superior sense of composition, storytelling, and fundamental understanding of editing and pacing
- Excellent creative instincts and a keen eye for color, space, timing and movement aesthetics
- Attention to detail and has a pixel perfect level of quality control
- Experience with 3D visuals considered an asset
- Applicable knowledge in audio recording and editing is a plus
- Able to take charge with individual projects, but also work in collaboration as a supporting role for other team members
- Experience in a large, complex organization focused on superior stakeholder relations is a plus
- Flexible and open to work outside of normal business hours if required
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
Motion Graphics Design (70%)
- Produce innovative digital experiences with high-quality motion graphics and animations for communications initiatives including but not limited to; social media, digital marketing, e-mail, newsletters, presentations, webinars, and events
- Design and create visual elements (text and illustrations) with a high level of polish that can be animated and combined with film footage to deliver cohesive and engaging videos
- Lead motion graphics ideation and conceptual thinking with the purpose of supporting both storytelling narratives and knowledge sharing type videos
- Produce storyboards, designs, concepts, and animations to convey ideas
- Iterate on projects with feedback from key stakeholders
- Draw from industry best practices, stay on top of trends, and actively review best-in-class approaches for producing motion graphics content
Video Production (30%)
- Edit regular video footage with the direction of a supervisor, script, storyboard, or outline
- Provide support on set for other digital media shoots as an assistant or crew member as required
- Upon project completion, help ensure digital media is archived and accessible to other teams and assist with request for assets institutional wide
Application Deadline: July 24, 2020
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the Technical Job Family, Phase II.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website.
About the University of Calgary
a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation's most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada's top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their professional success while they are here. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.