A proudly Canadian retail company, Sobeys began in 1907 as a small meat delivery business in Stellarton, Nova Scotia. Today, Sobeys Inc. serves the food shopping needs of Canadians with approximately 1,500 stores in all 10 provinces under retail banners that include Sobeys, Safeway, IGA, Foodland, FreshCo, Thrifty Foods, and Lawton's Drug Stores as well as in-store pharmacies, liquor and more than 350 retail fuel locations.
Together with our 125,000 employees and franchise affiliates and a collective passion for delivering exceptional food and shopping experiences, Sobeys' purpose is to improve the lives of Canadians by helping them Eat Better, Feel Better and Do Better. .
All career opportunities will be open a minimum of 5 business days from the date of posting.
The Communications & Public Affairs Lead will provide critical support for various Company-wide initiatives to protect corporate reputation and advance key business and advocacy priorities. Actively contributing to a positive and productive working environment, the Lead will serve as the most senior external communications resource working with the Director of External Communications.
Develop and manage communications for external audiences
- Support and manage key initiatives within the External Communications strategy, including planning, program development and execution.
- Partner with key internal functional teams to plan and develop proactive media relations outreach to help drive business priorities forward.
- Manage and respond to media as it relates to day-to-day operations including support for stores and distribution centers nationally.
- A track record in dealing with issues and working with different business groups to find solutions, develop appropriate messaging and provide guidance to leaders
- Provide oversight on communications outreach to key external audiences including customers, government and stakeholders
- Support the development of government relations and advocacy campaigns, supporting key business objectives.
- Lead the creative development, writing and production of external communication materials, including news content, speeches, presentations and corporate videos.
- Manage related budgets as required.
- Post secondary degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related field
- Experience writing for varying mediums, and delivering key messages through a variety of communication methods and outlets
- Bilingual French/English preferred
- Superior research, writing and editing skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work across all levels and departments in the organization
- Superior communication skills (both oral and written)
- Expertise in developing and implementing proactive media relations and integrated external communications plans
- Issues management expertise and key message development
- Expertise in developing government relations and advocacy strategies that support business strategy
- Highly detail oriented with an ability to prioritize competing assignments
- Exceptional public speaking and presentation skills
- Event planning and sponsorship experience
- Familiarity with social media tools/new technology
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
Sobeys is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process and will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of this process.
While all responses are appreciated only those being considered for interviews will be acknowledged.
We appreciate the interest from the Staffing industry however respectfully request no calls or unsolicited resumes from Agencies.