Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited family of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for more than 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in the world.
defence procurement in Canadian history.
This year, we will deliver the lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years. And we're just getting started.
We're growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants.
We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
To assist us in effectively communicating with our workforce and external stakeholders we have a Co-op/Intern work term opportunity this Fall for a full-time student studying communications, public relations, digital media or journalism to join our Communications Team. This is approximate three month work term and is based at the Halifax Shipyard, 3099 Barrington St, Halifax NS.
- Create content for Irving Shipbuilding media channels (internal and external, traditional and social)
- Photo/video capture and production for events, announcements, visits, etc.
- Monitor and analyze the effectiveness of social and digital properties using analytical software, such as Google Analytics
- Manage image library
- Assist in organizing on-site events at our various operations, media conferences, and company announcements that include the gathering and production of various communication products in a diversity of mediumS
- Assist in other communications activities & projects, as required
- Education Required: Currently enrolled full-time in a Bachelor's degree or Diploma program in Public Relations/Communications/Journalism/Marketing/Digital Media
- Superior writing/editing skills
- Excellent photography skills
- Excellent video capture and editing skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite (e.g. Photoshop and InDesign), iMovie, Sendible
- Experience with social media channel management, maintenance and measurement
- Flexibility to work overtime as required
- Ability to work independently, prioritize work and handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast paced, diverse and growth oriented environment
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITA).
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as ?Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
TO APPLY FOR THIS CAREER OPPORTUNITY:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.