Company: HarperCollins Canada
Department: Sales, Marketing & Publicity
Reporting To: Marketing Coordinator
Status: 6-month paid internship
About Our Virtual New Grad Internship Program (NGIP), Eligibility, and Application Process
We are thrilled to launch a virtual New Grad Internship Program this Fall!
HarperCollins Canada and Harlequin is committed to fostering a culture of respect, support and belonging where our employees, authors and publishing partners/communities can bring their full selves to reflect and express the diverse voices, experiences and thoughts of our society. We welcome all applicants, particularly those who identify with groups that are traditionally underrepresented in the publishing industry (including, but not limited to, Black, Indigenous, and people of colour).
The program will give interns the opportunity to work on meaningful projects, interact with various levels of the organization, networking opportunities, access to informational interviews, and business overview sessions.
The intern will be working based on our business core hours from Monday to Friday, 9 am to 5 pm (Eastern Standard Time). Access to a PC or MAC and reliable internet during these hours is required.
This program is open to new grads who have completed their university or college education OR candidates who possess equivalent/relevant work experience.
Prior publishing experience is not required to qualify for the role.
The application process requires a resume and a two-page cover letter outlining:
a. Why you are interested in working in publishing
b. What you hope to learn from this internship
c. Favorite book, author, genre, and why
Applications without the cover letter will NOT be considered.
Reporting to the Marketing Coordinator, the Virtual Intern
- Sales, Marketing & Publicity will be a key member of the HarperCollins Canada Sales, Marketing and Publicity team. Our team is responsible for the sales, distribution and promotion of all HarperCollins titles in Canada.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to intersect with all stages of the publishing process and establish relationships in each department. You will be mentored by a senior member of our team and have the opportunity for one-on-one meetings with employees across the organization. Your responsibilities will include attending weekly cross-department meetings, attending brainstorm and planning session, contributing to sales presentations and provide valuable feedback on various promotions aimed at our accounts and consumers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attend weekly Planning meetings
- Construct marketing PowerPoints and sales promos
- Contribute to ad-copy and build digital campaigns
- Attend weekly publicity meetings
- Attend pitch meetings with external partners where possible
- Craft pitches for media campaign
- Creating, updating and distributing custom catalogues and order forms for accounts and Sales Reps
- Assist with sales presentations and ordering. Will have the opportunity to present titles for sell-in to accounts in the Gift Market. This includes but is not limited to cold calling, Microsoft Teams appointments and phone appointments. They will also take part with placing orders for accounts, authors and events
- Will assist with the creation of the digital vendor presentation and present titles to digital clients like KOBO and Apple
Specific training or job experience required includes:
- Completion of university or college education, or possess equivalent/relevant work experience
- Retail and/or selling experience an asset
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with fellow employees
- Self-starter with capacity to work independently
- Applicants must be eligible to work and be paid in Canada
Competencies and skills required to perform this job include:
- Familiarity with digital platforms, including social media
- Comfort with key PC or MAC software (Excel, Numbers, Word, Adobe)
What's In It For You?
- The opportunity to be part of a company on the leading edge of publishing, working with a very talented team and exceptional books
- Virtual work, so you can live anywhere in Canada and work with us!
- Vacation days
- Various virtual social activities to keep you connected
- Access to discounted books
- Working with passionate people!
ABOUT HARPERCOLLINS CANADA AND HARLEQUIN
Harlequin is a leading publisher of commercial fiction and narrative nonfiction. We publish more than 100 titles a month that reach audiences globally. Encompassing highly recognizable imprints that span a broad number of genres, we are home to many award-winning New York Times and USA TODAY bestselling authors. Harlequin is a division of HarperCollins Publishers, the second-largest consumer book publisher in the world. Through HarperCollins's global publishing program, Harlequin titles are published in 17 countries and 16 languages.
Known worldwide for the quality of its list, HarperCollins Canada is the proud home of many bestselling and award-winning authors, including Esi Edugyan, Heather O'Neill, and Lawrence Hill. It is our vision to publish the best books of our generation and to work with authors over the length and breadth of their careers. Our authors are at the centre of everything we do. In addition to the Canadian publishing program, HarperCollins Canada is responsible for the sales, marketing, and publicity of HarperCollins titles from around the globe.
HarperCollins Canada and Harlequin are Equal Opportunity Employers committed to equal employment opportunities. Employment decisions are based on job requirements and the skills, knowledge, and experience of the candidate, regardless of any other factors unrelated to job performance.
We are also committed to ensuring that the accessibility needs of candidates and employees are considered and accommodated during the recruitment process.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.