Position Status: Full Time, Contract 12 months term
Department : Communications, 250
Start Date: Sept 1st, 2020
Since 1853 the YMCA of Greater Halifax/Dartmouth has been connecting Nova Scotians to build healthy communities. As a non-profit charity we provide vital services, including Health, Employment, Childcare/Camps, Immigrant Services, and Youth Development.
As the Communications Officer, you will be an integral component for fostering our Y profile as a community partner and expanding our reach in building healthy communities within Nova Scotia. Through collaboration with Senior Leadership and our CEO, you will further refine Association messaging to attract, engage, and retain internal and external key stakeholders through demonstration of brand leadership, maximization of communication channels, and promoting our Y as charity of choice.
AS COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER YOU WILL:
- Ensure maximization of communication/promotion opportunities through development of high impact messaging, engagement of key stakeholders, utilization of cross-promotional mechanisms, and alignment with project/event cadence.
- Write, edit, and design content as well as graphics in promotion of our Y mandate, accomplishments, events, and program resources. Management of social media and web platforms in keeping with industry best practices, YMCA Brand Standards, Y mandate, and conduct standards.
- Maximize internal communication channels to support increased employee, member, and volunteer engagement. With guidance from the communications quarterly planning calendar, proactively support and foster positive working relationships with internal departments.
- Proactively identify and pitch opportunities for media coverage and foster positive working relationships with external media contacts. With guidance from Senior Leadership, manage crisis communication process.
- Develop monthly newsletter content to key stakeholder groups. Respond to questions and/or information requests in a meaningful, timely manner to both internal and external parties.
In joining the YMCA, you will become part of a dedicated network of individuals with great passion for providing holistic support to the communities in which we serve. As a YMCA staff member you will receive:
- Strong Work Life Balance Programs
- Discounted Childcare and Program Rates
- Minimum 2-3 years of Experience in Public Relations, Communications or Marketing
- Bachelor's Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing or equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Prior experience in providing communications support in non-profit sector an asset
- Strong verbal, communication, and presentation skills; Bilingual an asset
- Strong working knowledge of graphic design, Public Relations best practices
- Demonstrated ability to meet multiple, competing deadlines/tasks
- Strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to build consensus, strong interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive information/situations with tact and diplomacy
- Comfort level and demonstrated ability to appropriate manage confidential information, strong working knowledge or privacy, information protection protocols
Note: Successful candidates will be required to provide a current and satisfactory Criminal Record Check/Vulnerable Sector Check, Child Abuse Registry Check, and proof of valid First Aid and CPR training. Employees will be required to attend YMCA Child Protection Training.
We will be accepting applications on our website http://www.ymcahfx.ca/job-postings/ until August 21st 2020. We look forward to hearing your story!
The YMCA of Greater Halifax/Dartmouth is an equal opportunity employer that values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. We are committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange reasonable and appropriate accommodation. Applicants are encouraged to self-identify.