Digital Communications Specialist
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
Type: Permanent Full-time
Group/Grade: Bargaining Unit/Officer Grade
Rate: $98,145.83 (start)
Date: August 25, 2020
Founded in 1973, the Ontario Nurses' Association (ONA) is a leading health-care union representing more than 65,000 registered nurses and health professionals and 18,000 nursing student affiliates working in Ontario hospitals, long-term care facilities, public health, community, clinics and industry. ONA is committed to the advancement of the social, economic and general welfare of its members providing labour relations services that include representation of members to ensure their rights under the collective agreement are protected and negotiating the best possible terms and conditions of employment. ONA advocates for the highest standards of health care for all Ontarians. Looking to the future, ONA will continue to provide proactive strategies to raise the awareness of the value (including economic and patient benefits) of RNs with all stakeholders.
ONA is seeking to hire a Digital Communications Specialist on our (CGR) Team. The ideal candidate must be passionate about all things digital; be strategic; and work within the boundaries of ONA's governing and administrative policies, vision and strategic directions, and team standards. The successful candidate will report to the Executive Lead, Communications and Government. You will have exceptional communication skills, great client service skills, and the ability to develop engaging content and moderate online and offline conversations with our communities. You will develop and implement social/digital media strategies and campaigns to align with ONA's communications, government relations and member mobilization strategies, as well as organizational strategies. You will have experience with social media, websites, intranets, graphic design, strategy, analytics, and campaigns, and will be accountable for:
- Developing social/digital media strategies and tactics to support various initiatives related to health care, labour relations, unions and the political environment, in collaboration with others across the organization.
- Developing social media and digital communications in support of building stronger, more engaged online communities and brand awareness. You will play a role in helping to shape the way we engage with members and build online communities.
- Managing ONA's social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube) and the website.
- 18 months) and ONA's first intranet (following website redesign project). This work will include all phases of design and development, back end and front-end code, and include design/ideation, prototyping, development, validation, user testing, and implementation.
- Being a subject matter expert on social/digital media when communicating with stakeholders.
- Providing analysis, rationale and recommendations for social media campaigns that maximize the member experience.
- Delivering a cohesive, seamless and on-brand social media and digital experience.
- Tracking, analyzing, and leveraging metrics, analytics and trends to identify opportunities for improved and enhanced online member interactions and
Overall, you will be a storyteller, strategic thinker, and skilled communicator who has a proven track record of developing, managing, and growing social and digital media channels/sites.
Role and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with key internal stakeholders, including others on the Communications and Government Relations Team and subject matter experts across ONA, and work with cross-functional teams:
- to ensure that fresh and compelling content is regularly added to ONA's social media channels and website, develop and implement ONA's social media and digital strategy, and spearhead a cohesive, seamless, on-brand digital experience;
- to ensure timely and effective execution of creative, powerful social and digital media tactics to support and align with communications, marketing/campaign activities, member mobilization initiatives, and brand awareness; and
- to identify opportunities and provide plans and recommendations to improve social media and digital effectiveness and efficiency of the channels/sites.
- Provide advice and guidance from a digital perspective in communications planning.
- Understand requirements of and monitor overall compliance to all online policies, procedures, and brand guidelines. Ensure brand consistency and that brand guidelines are followed.
- Provide subject matter input into the effectiveness of digital programs and make changes as quickly as possible to resolve issues.
- Demonstrate a commitment and passion to maximizing member satisfaction.
- Manage external vendor relationships, ensuring scope and deliverables meet project requirements to deliver an excellent user experience across all devices, browsers, and social and digital networks.
In addition to the above:
- Create and post social media content for the various social media channels and plan the promotion of announcements, events, programs, projects, etc.
- Monitor and respond to inquiries daily, engaging with audiences, providing responses to comments and DMs in a timely, helpful and compassionate manner; identify areas of concern to be actioned or that may be escalating; and report on social conversations/trends in health care and labour.
- Maintain and enhance ONA's social media presence throughout all of its channels.
In addition to the above:
- Manage the current website, including posting and updating content, managing search engine optimization (SEO), maintaining and enhancing the website to ensure optimal performance, and ensuring that content is updated and strategically aligned.
- Content optimization for a web user experience through the arranging, editing, and styling of multimedia content that reflects and meets brand standards.
- Ensure that digital content reflects best practice standards, as well as the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL).
- Oversee the development of front-end and back-end code, both as a hands-on developer and project lead working with external developers and internal staff, as required.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Proven experience with developing, managing, and maintaining websites, intranets, and social media channels.
- Proven experience with launching digital initiatives (e.g. building an online forum, creating an event series, writing an email newsletter).
- Proven experience working with social media channels (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube).
- Proficient with design and image software, i.e. In Design, Photoshop, Illustrator.
- Knowledge of and experience with current system technologies (operating systems, application software, commonly used and customized software, networks, etc.), and emerging technologies.
- Proven experience developing websites with both front-end and back-end code, and a familiarity with and knowledge of common coding languages, development frameworks and third-party libraries.
- Knowledge of and experience with multiple back-end CMS platforms (e.g. NationBuilder, WordPress, CraftCMS), and databases (e.g. MySQL, MongoDB), web servers (e.g. Apache) and UI/UX design.
- Experience using NationBuilder and/or other email/digital platforms, including online email campaign platforms, such as New Mode.
- Knowledge of social media and digital analytics. Ability to identify, track, analyze and report on metrics. Ability to interpret website and intranet traffic and online engagement metrics.
- Experience with social media advertising.
- Ability to write creatively across all social/digital media platforms, ensuring appropriate tone and voice. Ability to write and design e-blasts, newsletters, articles, invites.
- Solid project management skills. Ability to multi-task, organize, prioritize, and manage multiple projects under strict deadlines. Must be accurate and detail oriented.
- Ability to work well within a team and independently; and with cross-functional teams.
- Conducts interactions with members and staff in a manner that supports ONA's mission and vision.
- Experience working within a union environment, public sector, and/or not-for-profit sector is an asset.
- Experience with issues related to health care, labour relations, unions, and the political environment.
Note: There may be a need for flexible scheduling for evening/weekend work to effectively monitor and respond to social media requests.
- Bachelor's degree or advanced diploma in communications, journalism and/or marketing and/or multi-media production and/or social and digital media.
- Certification in web development/management and/or social/digital media.
- Five to seven years' related experience required, particularly in:
- Digital/social media management with experience dedicated to developing and executing social and digital media strategies,
- Website/intranet design, development, and coding, and
The successful candidate must be able to travel, possess a valid driver's license and have access to an automobile for business use. Ability to travel across Ontario, is also expected, as could other areas outside of Ontario.
All interested candidates may apply via ONA Jobs by September 8, 2020.
The Ontario Nurses' Association is committed to employment and pay equity within its staff. Applications are encouraged from equity groups including individuals of Indigenous descent, racialized individuals, individuals with disabilities, and LGBTQ+ persons. We also provide accessible employment practices that are in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (?AODA'). If you require accommodation for a disability during any stage of the recruitment process, please notify Human Resources.
Thank you for your interest in joining us. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.