Founded in 1910 and located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Mount Royal University grew into a vibrant college in the 1930s and became a mid-sized university in 2009. Mount Royal has carved out a distinct niche by offering smaller class sizes, a robust liberal education and unique undergraduate programs. Currently, more than 14,000 credit students choose from 12 bachelor degrees and 36 majors.
Mount Royal University is located in the traditional territories of the Niitsitapi (Blackfoot) and the people of the Treaty 7 region in southern Alberta, which includes the Siksika, the Piikani, the Kainai, the Tsuut'ina and the Iyarhe Nakoda. We are situated on land where the Bow River meets the Elbow River. The traditional Blackfoot name of this place is "Mohkinstsis," which we now call the city of Calgary. The city of Calgary is also home to the Métis Nation.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT OF MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS
Marketing and Communications integrates expertise, efforts and experience to help Mount Royal University meet its institutional goals. Marketing and Communications also collaborates with resources on and off campus to provide the best possible support to foster Mount Royal's reputation and image as a premier Canadian undergraduate institution. This is accomplished by developing and implementing strategies to support the advancement of Mount Royal's institutional priorities, assisting with increasing the institution's profile and reputation, and acting as an integral resource within the campus community. This team of creative professionals provides service excellence by focusing on partnership, mutual goals, adapting to evolving need, and telling Mount Royal's story.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The work you create will shape people's thoughts and opinions about Mount Royal University as we deliver on our promise of being one of Canada's best undergraduate universities. Your words and ideas will convince students, parents, customers, donors and partners to engage with us.
The Marketing Copywriter reports to the Strategic Marketing Lead and will focus on content marketing campaigns, website marketing copy, and overall student and customer attraction.
As the Marketing Copywriter in MRU's Marketing and Communications department you will join a team of professionals who advance the brand and reputation of Mount Royal University through centralized and coordinated marketing and communications. Part of a high-performing team, the copywriter plays a critical part in pushing the team creatively
- bringing strategy and design to life.
Ultimately you will be responsible for creating original written content tailored for different audiences, for a variety of platforms and communications tools. Your work will be guided by strategic marketing plans to ensure you deliver copy on time and to specification of the related projects. This role has experience with a wide range of communications tools and advertising trends, is a highly skilled writer and editor, and has a strong sense of Mount Royal's brand voice.
- Support marketing and communications strategists with marketing campaigns, primarily through writing and editing materials.
- Produce compelling and persuasive marketing copy for a variety of audiences.
- Edit and refine marketing copy for multiple platforms
- in traditional and non-traditional channels.
- Assist in the development of advertising concepts by understanding audience and platform delivery.
- Craft scripts for compelling online videos.
- Prepare website content using best practice user experience and SEO optimization techniques.
- Optimize web content for call-to-action usability in tandem with campaign objectives, including (but not limited to) online forms, pop-ups, landing pages, and third party apps.
- Support marketing and communications strategists with refining and editing web content.
- Write and edit content for online and print publications, including (but not limited to) the main pages of the website, Our Community e-newsletter and Summit magazine.
- Generating/soliciting story ideas and copy.
- Support social media team when required.
- Three or four year bachelor degree or applied degree or equivalent in Marketing, Writing (English), Communications (or a related field) or Advertising.
- Experience working on multiple projects with competing priorities and tight timelines.
- Experience writing persuasively for digital and print platforms.
- Understanding of, and experience with, digital marketing strategies.
- Experience working in an agency setting or similar in-house structure is an asset.
- Able to learn and manage various technologies to maintain project timelines and improve workflow.
What We Offer
Talented and committed employees are the driving force behind student success. We strive to be an employer of choice among Canadian post-secondary institutions.
At Mount Royal University, we recognize that people are a combination of many intersecting identities; we work to cultivate an environment that welcomes the whole person, and harnesses the strength that is available in our diversity, creating a rich and inclusive workplace.
Investing in the learning and development of our employees benefits the individual and the University. A variety of services, resources and programs encourage a healthy, productive workplace. Mount Royal University offers a competitive total compensation package including health and dental benefits, pension, health and personal spending accounts, paid vacation, winter holiday closure, personal days and a free membership in our fully equipped recreation centre.
Our campus offers the convenience of a full medical clinic, dentist and pharmacy, as well as a variety of wellness services such as physiotherapists and massage therapists. Campus Recreation offers many activities, including personal training, fitness classes, climbing, aquatics, sports, tournaments and certifications for students, employees and the public.
Salary: $2,455.75 Semi-monthly
Closing Date: September 8, 2020
A cover letter and resume should be submitted in one .pdf document. Please title your .pdf document as follows: (Last Name), (Requisition Number).pdf (ex. Smith, 999999.pdf).
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. After the close date, you can check on the status of your application through your Career Centre. New career opportunities arise frequently and are posted as they become available. Please check back often to view our latest postings on our Career Opportunities page. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Mount Royal University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to fostering diversity as a source of excellence, intellectual and cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome applications from those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, faculty and their scholarship including but not limited to Indigenous Peoples, women, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual or gender identity, ethnic, national or socio-economic background, religion or age.