In accordance with the Vision, Purpose, and Values, and strategic direction of the Vancouver Island Health Authority (Island Health) patient and staff safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone; as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
Reporting to the Director, Communications, Planning & Partnerships, this position is responsible for the development and implementation of strategic communication plans and activities to support Island Health objectives. The Communications Advisor works closely with the Director, and other members of the Communications, Planning & Partnerships team on event plans and pro-active partner engagement campaigns. This position also works closely with external partner groups to arrange Island Health participation in a broad range of activities; and with Executive Directors, Directors and other internal partners in support of their specific community and partner engagement projects and plans.Travel may be a requirement of this position in addition to evening and weekend assignments. Transportation arrangements must meet the operational requirements of the Vancouver Island Health Authority in accordance with the service agreement and may require the use of a personal vehicle and a Valid BC Driver's License.
Education, Training And Experience
A level of education, training and experience equivalent to a Bachelor's degree in a related area such as communications, public relations, journalism or marketing/advertising plus five (5) years experience in organizational communications including experience in event planning and graphic design.
Skills And Abilities
- Strong verbal and interpersonal skills
- Positive and enthusiastic team player with an ability to work effectively and collaboratively with a diverse and creative team
- Excellent oral, writing, proofreading and editing skills
- Demonstrated, superior project coordination skills
- Excellent event planning ability
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple tasks with minimal supervision
- Ability to interact effectively with the public and internal and external partners
- Knowledge of the health care sector
- Ability to understand and apply technical and medical terminology
- Physical ability to carry out duties of the position