Description of the Job
The Alberta Geological Survey is currently recruiting for a permanent Multimedia Graphic Designer to join its talented team of professionals! The Multimedia Graphic Designer will collaborate with AGS geoscientists and specialists to create realistic 2D and 3D images to support the communication of complex geoscience information to a wide range of scientific and non-scientific audiences. The Multimedia Graphic Designer must have excellent drawing skills with the ability to adapt graphics and illustrations as needed to translate scientific concepts into visually appealing graphics that are fit for purpose. They will be a key contributor to the AGS website producing images, infographics, and videos that bolster written technical information on AGS webpages. The successful candidate will have advanced knowledge of design and layout software to ensure AGS reports, presentations, journals, maps, webpages, and external communications have a uniform style and layout. They will also help establish workflows, policies, and procedures to have graphics, illustrations, videos, maps, and photographs adhere to appropriate levels of quality while maintaining AGS' brand. Candidates selected for interviews must bring a graphic design portfolio to showcase past work.
- Produce high-quality, realistic, and easily understandable graphics to illustrate geoscience information and products to all AGS stakeholders.
- Collaborate with AGS staff to design scientific graphics optimized for AGS reports, presentations, journals, webpages, and external communications. Provide quick sketches for approval to assess the appropriate level of detail and effort for final graphics to support AGS project-goals.
- Plan, write, and produce videos and animations used as marketing or training tools for internal or external stakeholders.
- Design layouts and templates for the AGS website to coordinate written technical information with illustrations, infographics, videos, maps, photographs, and etc.
- Support uploading new content to the AGS website.
- Aid in the AGS publication process by optimizing the final layout of AGS reports, maps, and other AGS print publications to ensure readability and ease of use.
- Provide in-house printing services including 3D printing for AGS publications.
- Continually learn new software, programs, or tools to keep AGS current in multimedia graphic design and maintain and adhere to best-practices.
- Technology Diploma in graphic design, media, or related fields, and experience in social media and web platforms.
- Bachelors Degree in graphic design, media, or related fields, and experience in social media and web platforms.
- 3-5 years of experience in graphic design.
- 2D & 3D skills in both hand-drawn and computer-based formats and advanced knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop).
- Familiarity with commonly used Content Management Systems (e.g., Drupal).
- Knowledge of printer equipment including 3D printers.
- Mastery of interpersonal skills needed to prioritize tasks, deliver quality outputs, and collaborate with others.
Additional requirements/information for candidates :
- In the event a current AER employee would like to apply for a Term Position they will inform their leader prior to submitting their application.
For Internal Use Only
- Under the AER's Classification Framework this position is a SP2, Level 4.
Please note: Should an individual with the required qualifications not be available, applicants with closely related qualifications may be considered. As a result, the position may be redesigned and/or reclassified.
The job posting will close on September 20th, 2020.