Reporting to the Director, Marketing and Communications, the Web & Graphic Designer guides the identity of the College through creative conceptualization, original graphic design, and the coordination and production of NIC communication materials. The Web & Graphic Designer will work collaboratively and support the strategic objectives of the Marketing and Communications Department. The designer is aware of the mission and values of North Island College and incorporates those values into everyday practice.
- Job Knowledge
- Planning & Organization
- Customer Service Excellence
- Communication & Interpersonal Skills
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Applies technical knowledge and ability to create and produce original artwork and layouts for use in a wide range of media; including but not limited to web, social media, print, publications, outdoor, video, merchandise, sponsorship, events and corporate communications.
2. Develops brand, brand elements and communication themes to support NIC's strategic direction and communication needs, adhering to style guides, marketing principles and goals.
3. Consults and collaborates with colleagues and clients to understand project objectives and agree on a brief.
4. Develops, implements and maintains style guides and design templates to support the College's diverse communication needs and media.
5. Coordinates all printing requirements utilizing full knowledge of the printing process (e.g., paper and ink specifications, preparing tenders, pre-press file preparation and all stages of proofing.)
6. Responsible for supporting the Marketing Department's online Helpdesk process, working collaboratively with others in the team, to triage requests and respond appropriately, as required.
7. Maintains NIC image collection by coordinating image acquisition, including coordinating external photographers, taking photos and purchasing stock imagery as required.
8. Organizes and maintains marketing department project files to ensure appropriate access.
9. Provides input into software and hardware technology requirements related to graphic design, as required.
10. Adheres to agreed project deadlines and budgets and prioritizes workload to complete.
11. Conducts research independently and contributes as a team member in identifying solutions to both client specific and College-wide design needs.
12. Responsible for ongoing professional development in the field of web/graphic design to ensure knowledge and skills remain current.
13. Performs additional responsibilities and duties as delegated by the Director, Marketing and Communications
Required Education & Experience
1. Diploma in Web Design, Graphic Design, Fine Arts in Communication, or a related field.
2. Three years' direct experience preferably in the Marketing or Communications department of a postsecondary institution or the equivalent combination of recent experience and formal training in a similar environment.
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
1. Proven visual and artistic design skills and ability demonstrated in a current and quality portfolio.
2. Experience of the communication design process from graphic design concepts and practices to project management.
3. Understands the hierarchy of content, uses this knowledge to develop effective marketing and communication materials.
4. Knowledge of commercial printing processes from design to pre-press production for all print types.
5. Experience producing high quality layouts from templates in a fast-paced team environment.
1. Fluency in Adobe Creative Suite (2014 or newer) and other industry standard programs related to graphic design and publishing.
2. Web design skills and the ability to edit and write HTML and CSS for their technical implementation.
3. Proficiency with the MS Office Suite of applications.
4. Advanced level of knowledge of commercial printing processes from design to pre-press production including web presses.
5. Experience working with print shops and press operators,
6. Experience working with Bootstrap is an asset,
7. Knowledge of SEO and website best practice and industry standards,
8. Photography skills considered an asset.
1. Working knowledge of sales, brand, marketing and communication concepts and practices.
2. Experience producing advertising and promotional materials
3. Experience with print and production.
4. Working knowledge of proofreading, ability to proof content using editorial style guides.
5. Ability to problem solve and identify correct vehicle to suit communication objectives.
1. Strong English language skills, writing, editing, proofreading and attention to detail.
2. Ability to interpret style guide direction into design work
3. Highly motivated, collaborative, task focused work style.
4. Professional communication, presentation, and business skills are needed to work as part of the team and with clients.
5. Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and cooperative skills are required to handle multiple projects and to meet tight deadlines.
6. Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
7. Highly motivated, collaborative, task focused work style.
8. Proven project management skills.
9. Proactive and responsive when working under tight deadlines.
Special Instructions to Applicants