ABOUT THIS OPPORTUNITY:
Are you a creative communicator and master of all things digital? Do you excel at using technology to bring ideas and concepts to life? If so, you could be the right fit for Actua's new Digital Communications Specialist position. Actua is Canada's largest science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) outreach organization, and we're looking for an exceptional marketing communications professional to help conceptualize, design, create, and execute all of Actua's digital content. This is a full time fixed term position located in Ottawa, reporting to the Director of Communications. The position will start as a one-year contract with the possibility of renewal.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Conceptualize, design and produce creative, on-brand, digital content materials. Actua's Digital Communications Specialist will play a critical role in supporting the digital communications needs of the entire national organization. This is both a proactive and reactive role where you will be expected to bring forth new content ideas, but also be ready to react and deliver quality content in shorter lead up times. Examples of digital content include but aren't limited to: social media assets, infographics, surveys, presentation materials, proposals, national conference materials, awareness campaigns, newsletters, advertisements, annual reports and more.
- Design and produce consistent Actua branding material for Actua's 41 university and college based network members. Actua represents a network of 41 university and college based member programs across the country. The Digital Communications Specialist will be responsible for creating digital content to promote the work of network members, as well as content that can be used by network members themselves. For instance, shareables or videos for social media.
- Lead the production of videos. The person in this role will have strong videography and editing experience and skills. Actua has a wide range of video needs, from capturing our programs on the ground, special events, interviewing key stakeholders, promotion of our national programs, as well as the work of our network members and outreach team. Given the current context, we are also looking for someone who can put together training videos in place of our face to face training of teachers and program instructors.
- Design website templates. Actua's website is home to all of its national work. We often have new programs or projects to feature and need someone who can work closely with our
Director of Technology to design branded templates that provide a great user experience.
- You are exceptionally creative and talented in graphic design. You have an innate ability to present complex content into something visually attractive and easy to digest.
- You are a great team player. You are excited about the opportunity to work with multiple teams to propose new ideas and help bring their vision to life.
- You are a self-starter. Where you have gaps in your own understanding, you're a self-motivated learner that loves to explore, and you can quickly pick up new concepts and ideas independently.
- You are an expert in your field. You love working with design technology and manipulating it for the purposes of learning. You spend your free time keeping up with the latest digital design trends and minds. You are eager to share your excitement and new-found knowledge and skills with others, both in your team and beyond.
- Bachelor's Degree or Diploma in Communications, Graphic Design, Marketing, Public Relations or related field
- Experience delivering effective and innovative digital campaigns
- Experience producing and delivering a variety of digital assets, including video, online ads, microsites, and social media applications
- Experience shooting and editing video
- Deep understanding of digital marketing and content strategy/production
- Experience delivering successful social media campaigns, and a strong understanding of Social Media Marketing
- Strong understanding of web metrics and digital analytics, with the ability to generate, analyze and interpret data
- Must be able to work under deadline pressure and manage multiple projects across multiple teams
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficient in HTML/CSS is an asset
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc.)
Why Work With Us
In this role, you will have the opportunity to make a national impact by joining an organization that is committed to breaking barriers to STEM. Actua's National Indigenous Youth in STEM (InSTEM) Program, National Girls Program and other programs are designed to engage underrepresented and underserved youth populations across Canada. Each year, Actua and its growing network of 41 college and university-based members engage over 300,000 youth in exciting, hands-on experiences that help build their skills and confidence in STEM. We anticipate continued growth over the coming years, which will provide tremendous opportunity for you to grow with us. This is your opportunity to join our vibrant team-driven environment while working in a youthful, fast-paced and fun culture. This role is based in our Ottawa office, which is centrally located in the Byward Market. We offer a competitive salary and access to group health & medical benefits, and RRSP matching. For more information about us, please visit www.actua.ca .
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single PDF document on the Actua employment page. If you have work samples, such as a professional portfolio and/or links to campaigns you have developed, please include them with your application. The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is selected. Please note that while we appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Actua is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to accessible employment practices. If you have a disability and require an accommodation for any part of the selection process, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.