In accordance with the Vision, Purpose, and Values, and strategic direction of the Vancouver Island Health Authority (Island Health) patient and staff safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone; as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
The base Electronic Health Record (EHR) functionality is implemented across Island Health acute, ambulatory, long term care, and mental health services. Through IHealth, Island Health is extending the reach and capabilities of its EHR to create a single, integrated, and advanced EHR across the continuum of services Island Health provides. The implementation of advanced EHR functionality, including Computerized Provider Order Entry (CPOE) and electronic clinical documentation, is included in the IHealth scope.
Reporting to the Corporate Director, Clinical Informatics, this position is responsible for leading a team responsible for developing and coordinating implementation of IHealth communication and engagement strategies. This individual works closely with the Communications, Planning & Partnerships (CPP) Portfolio; specifically the Director, Patient & Public Partnerships on ensuring Island Health communication brand standards are adhered to.
The Director plans, develops, implements, and evaluates internal, external and government and media relations strategies that foster positive engagement and collaboration, promotes healthcare initiatives and expands Island Health's outreach into communities.
Travel may be a requirement of this position. Transportation arrangements must meet the operational requirements of Island Health in accordance with the service assignment and may require the use of a personal vehicle.
Education, Training And Experience
Master's degree in Communications, Public Relations, Political Science or a related discipline, plus seven to ten years' recent related communications experience, preferably within a large, multidisciplinary organization, or an equivalent combination of education, training, experience and professional accreditation as recognized by the health authority.
A valid BC Driver's License.
Skills And Abilities
- Mastery of communications and government relations concepts, strategies, and technical skills required in the planning, execution, and evaluation of government relations, community relations, and communication plans for a diverse and complex range of internal and external stakeholders.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Experience in public speaking and responding to news media inquiries.
- Knowledge of public policy, philanthropy, health promotion, and social marketing as applied to health care.
- Knowledge of legislative policy development and processes of various levels of government.
- Demonstrated leadership and managerial skills.
- Demonstrated ability to create and execute strategic communications plans.
- Demonstrated ability to respond to the needs of stakeholders supported by an acute awareness of the impact of actions.
- Demonstrated ability to problem-solve with a global perspective in order to incorporate the organization's systems and strategies when developing viable solutions to problems.
- Demonstrated willingness to take initiative, be creative, and exercise sound judgment.
- Adherence to the highest ethical standards, demonstrating accountability, integrity, and transparency in actions at all times.
- Demonstrated commitment to the value of continuous learning.
- Proficiency in the use of personal computers and applicable computer software applications.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
LEADS in a Caring Environment Framework: https://www.leadscanada.net/site/framework