Are you passionate about communications? Do you want to transform the way the world learns? Do you want to be part of a growing, creative and world-class education technology company? Do you want be part and parcel of protecting and amplifying a corporate brand?
The Director, Strategic Communications, at D2L is a new position, created apart from the Marketing Team, to ensure we are telling our story to the key audiences that can influence our corporate objectives. The position starts each day obsessed with protecting D2L's corporate identity and reputation, building awareness of who we are as a company and trust with key stakeholders. We are looking for someone who will live and breathe D2L's values and objectives and make sure those are consistently reflected in all communications.
At D2L, we define strategic communications as follows:
- Strategic Communications owns the company narrative, our identity and reputation, supporting every other function at the company who draw from it
- Strategic Communications ensures there isn't a ?Say/Do? gap (say one thing, do another)
- Strategic Communications is responsible for setting communications strategy and ensuring that the non-buyer audience is well-messaged, e.g. public investors, policy makers, parents, sector orgs, unions, analysts, the public, etc.
Working under the general direction of the Chief Strategy Officer, the Director, Strategic Communications is responsible for leading, developing and executing communications for the company and creating a cohesive communication strategy across the organization. This leader will provide counsel and support to all senior leaders within D2L regarding all communications-related issues and to act as custodian of the corporate identity and overall reputation of the group.
He/she requires an excellent understanding of communications and how to effectively pull together the corporate history, vision and company strategy for D2L into a narrative that is deployed through a variety of channels to all stakeholders. Ideally, this person comes to the position with some exposure to the education sector, government relations, issues management and the technology sector.
The Director, Strategic Communications, will be responsible for creating, translating, defending and amplifying D2L's corporate identity across the company, ensuring the core essence of the who we are is explicitly or implicitly woven into all facets of D2L's communications with stakeholders, particularly non-buyers.
The Director, Strategic Communications briefs the CSO and Senior Leadership Team (SLT) on key issues; provides leadership, information, advice, and direction to support the effective operation of the communications portfolio across D2L.
HOW WILL I MAKE AN IMPACT?
- Develop and execute corporate communication strategies, including coordination between both internal and external messaging
- in support of D2L's overall strategy.
- Develop, refine corporate D2L narrative and messaging
- Create a process to ensure messaging is reflected in everything we do/say
- Ensure that all communications strategies and activities support the desired positioning of the company.
- Develop an issues management plan for the company, including high-level response plans and messaging
- Oversee crisis communications, including building processes for leadership to escalate and calibrate around crisis communications
- Lead strategic communications planning across D2L
- Create and control a master messaging calendar, including SLT corporate events, announcements, and speaking engagements
- Work with the various business units to assist with their external communications needs.
- Support executive profile building efforts, and public platform development
- Compile and manage the budget for Corporate Communications.
- Manage a team of up to four, including contractors, public relations' agencies and social media managers
WHAT YOU'LL BRING TO THE ROLE:
- Relevant degree in Communications or Journalism
- 10+ years' experience in strategic or corporate communications
- Solid management experience
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong interpersonal skills, including managing cross-functional communications
- Strong sense of personal ownership in execution
- Excellent presentation skills
- High attention to detail and ability to generate creative concepts
- Initiative, excellent planning and organizational skills
- Results oriented
- Strong leadership skills
WHY WE'RE AWESOME...
- Supported to do the best work of your life
- Mission to transform the way the world learns
- #1 company in North America for Candidate Experience (beating out all the other companies you know). Plus, we have an amazing company that keeps winning awards for Most Admired Company Culture, Best Managed, Best Company for Young People, and so many others.
PLUS, WE ALSO OFFER:
- Flexible work hours
- Two paid volunteer days
- Health and wellness programs
- Collaborative work environment
- Stock options
- Healthy snacks
- Gym on site
- Various committees including Environmental Advisory Committee and Social Committee
- And lots of other great benefits