Requisition ID: 21773
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC's Top Employers, Canada's Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada's Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world's most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
As a member of the Civic Engagement and Communications team, the Communications Coordinator II
- Real Estate and Facilities Management works on a variety of strategic communications projects in support of the division at the City. This mid-level position is responsible for helping to educate the public and key stakeholders about major construction projects, along with the City's responsibilities as land owner and landlord. The position has a strong strategic focus including developing communications strategies that support successful business outcomes, and creating or supervising the creation of various communications tools to inform the public about key initiatives, their expected impacts and the opportunities for public involvement.
On a day-to-day basis, the position advises departmental managers/leaders, senior staff and other City staff on communications matters.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
The Communications Coordinator II
- REFM reports to the Associate Director, Corporate Communications. Its primary working relationships include: departmental and senior staff within the Real Estate and Facilities Management division; key support staff in Civic Engagement and Communications and Digital Services at the City; other government and stakeholder agencies; and members of the media. It serves as a key information sharing conduit between City departments, the media and the CEC department on matters related to REFM.
- Develops and implements multi-channel communications plans to support key REFM one-time and multi-year initiatives
- Oversees development of a wide variety of publicity and informational materials including news releases, newsletters, notices, pamphlets and brochures, speeches, video, displays, social media campaigns and other digital content, advertising, etc.
- Tracks the communications budgets for assigned projects
- Serves as the primary liaison to the media, coordinates media responses and spokespeople as appropriate
- Leads issues management for projects
- Directs the development and maintenance of web pages related to REFM initiatives
- Liaises with related agencies and suppliers/contractors to ensure effective and timely coordination of information to the public
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or a related discipline and at least five to seven years of experience in a communications position, or an equivalent combination of training, education and experience
- Considerable experience implementing communications plans on complex and/or controversial topics
- Considerable experience serving as a media spokesperson or supporting other spokespeople on complex or sensitive issues
- Knowledge of or experience with the commercial real estate market and/or issues related to public land ownership would also be an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable demonstrated skill in developing and implementing all facets of a strategic communications plan
- Considerable experience working with and communicating to diverse community groups
- Proven experience developing and making presentations to large groups
- Prior experience supporting public engagement or consultation on public initiatives or issues would be an asset
- Demonstrated ability to identify potentially contentious issues and quickly research the topic and recommend course of action, including responses
- Demonstrated ability to meet very tight deadlines and to juggle numerous tasks
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate communications needs, and identify and develop the best tools and best timing for providing effective information to various publics
- Demonstrated ability to be pro-active in establishing and maintaining respectful relationships with numerous and diverse stakeholder groups
- Demonstrated skill in establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with internal and external partners
- both in routine and in controversial and stressful situations
- Demonstrated skill in writing plain language materials: taking complex and technical information and making it interesting and easy for a layperson to understand
- Demonstrated skill in public speaking, and in writing and making effective public presentations to groups
- Considerable knowledge of the processes of graphic design, photography, video production, print and web production, and social media channels
- Demonstrated ability to remain calm, alert and high functioning under stressful conditions
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive issues with skill, tact and diplomacy
- Thorough knowledge of the media (both English and ethnic)
- Thorough knowledge of public processes/consultation techniques
- Thorough knowledge of government, particularly civic and regional government structures
Business Unit/Department : Office of the City Manager
Affiliation: C15 Non Parks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Position Start Date: October 2020
Position End Date: March 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-027: $41.29 to $48.78 per hour
Application Close: October 18 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities. The City of Vancouver is always interested in adding high performing team members to its staff. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply on our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.