Organizational and Foundational Standards
Approximate Duration: 12-14 months
Serving a diverse urban and rural population of more than 430,000, Niagara Region is focused on building a strong and prosperous Niagara. Working collaboratively with 12 local area municipalities and numerous community partners, the Region delivers a range of high quality programs and services to support and advance the well-being of individuals, families and communities within its boundaries. Nestled between the great lakes of Erie and Ontario, the Niagara peninsula features some of Canada's most fertile agricultural land, the majesty of Niagara Falls and communities that are rich in both history and recreational and cultural opportunities. Niagara boasts dynamic modern cities, Canada's most developed wine industry, a temperate climate, extraordinary theatre, and some of Ontario's most breathtaking countryside. An international destination with easy access to its binational U.S. neighbour New York State, Niagara attracts over 14 million visitors annually, as well as a steady stream of new residents and businesses.
- The Communications Advisor is a member of the Public Health & Emergency Services Communications and Engagement team
- Reporting to the appropriate Manager, the Communications Advisor provides support in the development and implementation of special projects and day-to-day internal and external communications activities.
- College or university degree/equivalent in communications, political science, journalism or related discipline.
- Experience in social marketing, social media, public relations, community consultation, media relations, resource development, and special events planning, demonstrated knowledge of communications technologies and practices, including multi-media and Internet communications.
1. Prepares and implements communications campaigns, and media relations and internal communications.
- Researches, writes, and edits media products for review.
- Analyzes media coverage, identifying items of interest and providing information to support performance measures benchmarks and reports prepared for SeniorLeadership Team.
- Identifies news stories with corporate communications consultants, delivering story pitches to reporter.
- Prepares social media content for VINE front page and for external channels. Acts as formal back-up for Web & Social Media Coordinator.
2. Plans and coordinates special events and logistics.
- Identifies event plan requirements, conducting research and staff interviews.
- Completes the ?Events Management Plan', determining objectives and identifying invited guests and media representatives.
- Prepares event invitations and save the date products, composing invitations, event remarks, speeches, media advisories and releases, and cutlines for photos for the Regional Chair, Commissioners, Directors and other senior staff involved in the agenda.
- Attends displays to answer resident questions about specific initiatives or the organization.
3. Provides research and analytical support on trend and communication initiative results.
- Researches, develops, and edits communication and government relations documents, PowerPoint presentations, display materials, articles for publishing in newsletters and newspapers (traditional and online), media releases, web copies, and VINE front page copy.
- Monitors, evaluates and analyzes references to Niagara Region for Performance Measures and news dashboard service, assessing coverage based on indicators and tracking news articles and compiling daily news emails and weekly government relations updates.
4. Provides input into the development of recommendations on problem resolution, and media coverage and communications process/activity improvements.
- Contributes to survey development, researching topics and brainstorming ideas.
- Must maintain ability to travel in a timely manner to community events or meetings as authorized by the corporation for business reasons.
- Evening and weekend work may be required as matters arise.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license to the class of vehicle operated.
- Regional staff strive to enable the strategic priorities of council and the organization through the completion of their work. Staff carry out their work by demonstrating the corporate values of service, honesty, choice, partnership and respect.
Uncover the wonder of the Niagara Region and join a team dedicated to meeting tomorrow's challenges TODAY!
Let us know why you would be an excellent team member by submitting your online application.
We thank all candidates for their interest however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.