Please Note: If you are a current Algonquin College employee, apply to this job via the Workday application.
Department : President's Office (Tracy McDougall)
Position Type: Full-Time Administrative
Salary Range: $85,711.00-$107,138.00-Annual
Sc heduled Weekly Hours: 36.25
Anticipated Start Date: January 04, 2021
Length of Contract :
Posting Closing Date: November 6, 2020
Please note: jobs are posted until 12:01 am on the job closing date.
JOB DESCRIPTION :
Reporting to the Director of the Office of the President and Communications, the Manager of Communications is responsible for the development and implementation of the College's communications and public relations strategies. The Manager takes responsibility for the development and oversight of both the College's internal and external communications, including community and media relations, social media and crisis communications. The incumbent will deliver innovative communication campaigns; generate strategies that grow market share and improve industry reputation; expand customer experience and drive growth. The incumbent is responsible for budget planning and resource allocation for Communication and public relations activities within the department.
Collaborating with administrators, schools, departments and student organizations, the incumbent provides communications expertise and direction, develops and implements strategies to support the overall goals of the College's Strategic Plan, and ensures all initiatives reflect Algonquin's branding and positioning goals. The incumbent also develops robust measures for the effectiveness of all College media relations and social media strategies and tactics.
Additionally, the Communication Manager provides input to the Director on the strategic direction and annual business planning for the Communications Department.
As an official College spokesperson, the incumbent provides counsel and advice on major public relations issues, and frequently liaises with members of the media on an ongoing basis to develop and maintain positive working relationships. He/she also forges and maintains productive relationships with other public sector institutions, the private sector, as well as with all College stakeholders and community partners.
A skilled communicator, the incumbent is highly experienced in working with the media and provides coaching to develop the expertise of team members. At ease with new technologies, and equipped with a strong understanding of the nature and value of social media, the incumbent is also an excellent writer who thrives in a fast-paced environment with wide-ranging priorities and multiple deadlines. He/she will lead a diverse and varied team of full time and part time employees, offering mentorship and a roadmap for successful implementation of the College's communication strategy.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS :
- Minimum of 3 (three) year Diploma/Degree in communications or directly related field of study;
- Minimum of 7 (seven) years experience in progressive communications, media, public or government relations managerial experience;
- 3 years' experience in a communication role with expertise in crafting communications plans, speeches , written copy and research;
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to network and build relationships;
- Experience working with social media in a business environment;
- Experience in customer market research and qualitative/quantitative research;
- Experience in working with a post-secondary student demographic would be an asset;
- Experience in dealing with budgets and operational finances;
- Project management experience;
- Human Resources management experience;
- Keen understanding of, and demonstrated experience with, robust communication outcomes measurement;
- Expertise and experience in media relations;
- Solid understanding of social media tools and applications;
- Experience in a unionized environment.
Algonquin College values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We offer an inclusive work environment and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. However internal candidates will receive first consideration based on qualifications. If you are invited for an interview, please notify us of any particular adaptive measures you may require. Workplace accommodations are available. While we thank all those who apply, only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
For a copy of the complete job description please contact Human Resources at humanresources @algonquincollege.com.