CN is home to opportunities for skilled tradespeople who are interested in continually learning and building a career in a safety-focused, team environment. Working on state-of-the-art locomotives and cars that carry freight from coast-to-coast-to-coast, you'll feel proud knowing you're a part of what makes the economy work. And with paid training, you'll be able to evolve your skills. At CN, the careers we offer are meaningful because the work we do matters. Join us!
The Signals & Communications (S&C) Call Desk Technician is responsible for handling calls in both English and French from various internal and external groups.
- Respond to problems reported to the Call Desk, escalate and document accordingly
- Open, document, and close service tickets
- Take calls from the public concerning malfunctioning grade crossings
- Assist with providing information on issues surrounding false clears, trains by red signals, signal dropping, derailments, accidents or other related Rail Traffic Control (RTC) issues
- Work with field forces to assist troubleshooting problems and cutovers
- Monitor and address various alarm systems problems
- Test, inspect, maintain, install, repair telecommunications and electronics equipment
- Other duties as assigned by Supervisor
- The role has standard working conditions in a 24/7 office environment
- Varying shifts of up to 12 hours each
- 4 to 5 shifts per week
- Constant interaction with telephones, computer systems and displays
- Telecommunications or Electronics Engineering experience
- Fluent in English and French, both verbal and written
- Ability to work independently, be well organized and maintain a schedule
- Ability to provide clear written and verbal communications
- Capable of reading and understanding visual displays and written communications
- Ability to follow company safety procedures, use common sense and maintain an overall level of safety awareness
- Capable of making effective decisions
- General knowledge of computer systems
- Experience in call centres or similar environment*
- Knowledge of signals or Rail Operating Rules*
- Any experience/education/skills/knowledge for these above would be considered as an asset
An important component of technician development remains on-the-job training with qualified technicians. The S&C Call Desk Technician will also undergo a structured apprentice training program over their first years at CN, with a requirement to achieve 80% on testing to retain their role. Formal classroom training is delivered at CN's Winnipeg Campus and consists of 4 units of 2-week sessions in the classroom.
As a leading North American transportation and logistics company, CN is a true backbone of the economy. With a team of approximately 25,000 railroaders, our focus is on moving both our company and the economy forward. We transport US$200 billion worth of goods annually for a wide range of business sectors from resource to manufactured products to consumer goods, across a 20,000-mile network spanning Canada and mid-America. CN is the only Canadian company listed in the Transportation and Transportation Infrastructure sector of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI). Launched in 1999, the DJSI World represents the gold standard for corporate sustainability. At CN, we work as ONE TEAM, focused on safety, sustainability and our customers, providing operational and supply chain excellence to deliver results
CN is an employment equity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.