The Department of Communication Services within the Office of Advancement is currently seeking a Full-time Regular Senior Specialist, Communications.
The Senior Specialist, Communications develops and delivers communications and marketing plans, campaigns and programs for defined clients and portfolios that engage the University of Calgary's key audiences, boost the awareness of the university, enhance our overall reputation, and deliver against the university's core strategic direction as well as against specific goals, objectives and targets. The Senior Specialist, Communications reports to the Director, Communications Services within Advancement's Communications division.
This role will develop and implement effective communications and marketing plans targeting UCalgary's key audiences. This includes managing and implementing a range of communications and marketing as well as advertising campaigns, publications, programs, and other communications and marketing tactics that address the goals and objectives related to our audiences.
The candidate will incorporate and execute digital and social media communications and marketing in alignment with the overall communications and marketing plan and work collaboratively with leadership, fellow staff, and select vendors to develop and publish communications and marketing materials for print, email, social and web channels. The work includes writing/reviewing web, ad, email and social media copy, writing video scripts, leading production, publishing web content, organizing virtual events/webinars and podcasts, and reporting on communications and marketing results.
Working in a highly collaborative department, this individual is communications-and-marketing-savvy and deeply knowledgeable of the creative production processes required to support complex communications and marketing programs and campaigns. They are a strong and diplomatic communicator with a broad understanding of the university environment, an ability to view projects through the unique perspectives of a diverse array of client-colleagues, and the sound judgment required to get to a successful outcome in what can often be challenging circumstances. The person in this role must be a steadfast advocate for the university's brand and core creative platform, applying our core principles to decisions made in the context of multiple projects.
To manage the multiple projects that this role handles, this individual must be excellent at organization and prioritization, as well as managing information effectively for different types of projects. While no shiftwork or dangerous conditions are involved, there is stress associated with managing multiple and often time-sensitive deadlines for mission-critical deliverables, as well as dealing with colleagues at various levels and from different areas within the institution.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
Communications and Marketing
- Develop and implement effective communications and marketing strategies and plans in support of the client's goals and objectives
- Experience developing, executing, measuring and optimizing e-marketing campaigns
- Work collaboratively with the client, fellow staff, and select vendors to plan, develop and publish communications and marketing materials for print, email, social media and web channels
- Manage, plan and implement a range of campaigns, publications, special events (such as webinars), and other communications and marketing tactics that address the goals and objectives of the client's strategy and plan
- Ensure the implementation of strong and consistent brand and positioning protocols across all projects and initiatives
- Adhere to and perpetuate the university's brand and identity guidelines in the interest of protecting the professional reputation and distinct positioning of the institution
- Develop and maintain successful and productive relationships with the client and colleagues within the client portfolio
- Manage and coordinate with outside agencies and vendors as required
- Manage complex issues and challenging interpersonal interactions with composure and diplomacy
- Ensure that communications are timely, accurate, informative, professional, and represent the university appropriately
- Seek expert opinions and advice where appropriate and considered reliable
Communications Project Management
- Help to develop and finalize briefs for projects as needed, ensuring that they are complete and validated before proceeding to project launch
- Organize and chair kick-off meetings for project as needed
- Secure approval of all collateral content and artwork prior to production
- Assist with content review/validation/user testing/refinement (as needed)
- Participate in proofing and proof-reading processes as required
- Provide input as needed for changes to procedures and practices
- Interface with external vendors and suppliers as required to ensure project completion
- Deal effectively with complex issues, using judgment, common sense and problem-solving skills
- Work with the Director/Manager, Communications Services to build reports for clients and to share with the rest of the Communications team
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
- 8+ years of experience in a responsible coordination position within the communications and marketing sector; leading complex projects in marketing and/or communications
- Undergraduate degree, diploma or recognized credential in communications and marketing, campaign management, project management, account management, or related field; a combination of education and experience will be considered
- Demonstrated experience in developing high-impact communications and marketing plans and campaigns to meet goals and objectives
- Deep knowledge of latest digital communications and marketing and social media trends
- Solid understanding of communications and marketing, and analytical skills
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Good leadership qualities and negotiation skills
- Proven exposure to and experience with the creative process and project management challenges
- Strategic thinker, with demonstrated ability in partnership-building
- Creative thinker and problem-solver who can think fast on their feet
- Well organized, with a demonstrated ability to prioritize functions on a daily basis and capable of simultaneously managing multiple responsibilities efficiently and effectively
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently as well as in an energetic team environment
- Results-oriented and independent, with demonstrated initiative in turning ideas into formalized projects
- Confident and poised with strong interpersonal skills, passionate about quality and able to deliver in a high-performance environment, with multiple projects, stakeholders and deadlines
- Experience working in an institutional environment with high-profile stakeholders is an asset
- Experience working in a marcom or advertising agency is an asset
- Experience working with Marketo is an asset
- Excellent attention to detail
Application Deadline: November 10, 2020
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the Specialist/Advisor Job Family, Phase III.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website.
About the University of Calgary
- a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation's most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada's top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary has launched an institution-wide Indigenous Strategy in line with the foundational goals of Eyes High, committing to creating a rich, vibrant, and culturally competent campus that welcomes and supports Indigenous Peoples, encourages Indigenous community partnerships, is inclusive of Indigenous perspectives in all that we do.
The University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their professional success while they are here. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.