Job ID: 11994
Job Category: Communications & Marketing
Division & Section: Strategic Public & Employee Communications, SC Corporate Communications
Work Location: City Hall
- 100 Queen Street West
Job Type & Duration: Temporary (12 Months) Full-time
Hourly Rate: $82,409.60
- $96,805.80, TM1690, Wage Grade 6
Hours & Shift Information: Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week
Selection Process: A Qualified List will be established and remain in effect for twelve (12) months. See below for details.
Number of Positions Open: 7
Posting Period: 02-Nov-2020 to 23-Nov-2020
Reporting to a Manager in the Strategic Communications Division, the Communications Advisor is a key team member, providing communications support to the City including the development and implementation of communication plans and strategies, development of a variety of communication products and the provision of strategic communications advice.
- Fosters sound working relationships with client partners to identify communications needs, providing advice and counsel that is strategic and meets the goals and objectives of the City and City Council.
- Researches, develops and implements communications plans and strategies for corporate or divisional initiatives and recommends policies/procedures.
- Conducts research into assigned area, taking into account developments within the field, corporate policies and practices, legislation and initiatives by other levels of government.
- Delivers effective internal communications, fostering employee engagement in collaboration with City leaders and internal stakeholders, in addition to external communications, marketing and promotions.
- Provides strategic communications support including the development of key messages, identifying target audiences and strategic timing of initiatives in collaboration with senior management, key stakeholders and elected officials.
- Writes, edits, proofreads and approves content and design of communications products in a variety of forms such as communications/briefing notes, news releases, social media content, videos, podcasts, print products, advertisements (design, placement and buying), websites/pages, and speaking notes within timeframes and budget requirements.
- Monitors and advises on emerging issues that can affect the City's brand and the achievement of its goals, providing support in rapid response situations if applicable.
- Develops and coordinates large-scale communications strategies in support of programs/projects/public relations campaigns from conception to completion, ensuring that budgets and deadlines are met. Confers with or coordinates project teams of staff, as required, from various units, divisions, agencies or commissions.
- Manages the production of communication products provided by partners (design, photo, video, web and contracted external service providers), understanding technical specifications.
- Recommends, establishes and helps to maintain the integrity of the organization's communications standards. Collaborates, advises and shares expertise and best practices with strategic and other divisional communication professionals.
- Responds to media and other requests for information on City programs and services and provides communications support when events, incidents or emergencies take place after business hours and on weekends as directed.
- Contributes positively and enthusiastically to the goals of the division and promotes a professional and well-respected communications service.
KEY QUALIFICATIONS :
- Post-secondary education in a discipline pertinent to the job function (communications, marketing, public relations, journalism) or an approved combination of education and experience.
- Extensive experience developing communications strategies and plans and creating, implementing and coordinating multimedia communications programs.
- Extensive experience in professional communications techniques and practices, including strategic planning and materials development.
- Extensive work experience in a combination of marketing, public relations, media relations, public education and social media engagement.
- Awareness and practice of social media and trends and how to effectively implement based on audience and platform.
- Well-developed human and public relations skills with a proven ability to communicate effectively with all management levels.
- Proven ability to liaise with, give direction to and approve the work of suppliers of creative services such as advertising, design, media buying and photography.
- Superior oral and written communication skills along with proven and excellent writing and editing skills for all media and audiences.
- Knowledge of web content management tools and processes.
- Knowledge of the techniques of diversity outreach including ethnic media, community organizations and cultural sensitivities.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail, with the ability to prioritize and manage assignments and workload under tight timelines and competing deadlines.
- A team player, with a passion for serving the city of Toronto.
QUALIFIED LIST INFORMATION:
- A list of qualified candidates will be established for the Communications Advisor position in the Strategic Communications Division and will be in effect for 12 months from the date the list is created. Qualified candidates on the list may be considered when filling future permanent and/or temporary vacancies, as applicable, in this position.
- Applicants are required to demonstrate in their resume/cover letter that their qualifications match those specified in the job posting
- Information in preparing for City job competitions is available on the Job Opportunities website. If you do not have a computer, you may use the computers in the learning kiosks located at Scarborough Civic Centre or Toronto Public Libraries
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request.