Date Posted: 10/27/2020
Req ID: 1669
Faculty/Division: Vice-Provost, Students
Department: SL Communications
Campus: St. George (Downtown Toronto)
Student Life connects life to learning. We believe every student should have the opportunity to actively participate in university life, and to find connection and community while discovering new ways of thinking and being in the world. We provide resources, support and engagement opportunities that are inclusive and accessible, making sure every student can build experiences that set them up for a lifetime of success.
Student Experience supports Student Life, and its units, to ensure that staff have the necessary tools and resources to effectively deliver programs, services, and resources. Student Life portfolios include, Student Life Programs & Services, Health & Wellness, and the Centre for International Experience. Student Experience also provides institutional support and leadership on large-scale assessment and projects that enrich the student experience. Units directly within Student Experience include, the Office of the CAO; Student Life IT; Student Life Communications; Student Crisis Response, Progress, & Support; Assessment & Analysis; Innovation Hub; and Strategic Initiatives.
Reporting to the Director, Student Life Communications (D, SLC), and working closely with a team of professionals dedicated to support of student learning and development, the Communications Officer (CO) will review, write, edit, and maintain original, high quality content for online and print communications in support of the University's goals in providing a transformative student experience.
The incumbent develops story ideas, producing original content for a variety of websites, publications and media outlets. Examples of content include(but are not limited to) news articles, report writing, copywriting for print and web, press releases, and formal letters and emails. The CO edits content prepared by service and programming staff within the Division and other members of the Student Life Communications team, and across the University, maintaining consistency in style and approach and exercising judgment in positioning Student Life and our partners.
The incumbent will actively consult and collaborate to foster purposeful communications partnerships with students and various University wide administrative stakeholders.
YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
- Writing and editing copy and content to advance communications objectives
- Implementing plans and process improvements for content generation activities
- Liaising with internal and external stakeholders regarding story development and cross-promotion activities
- Researching and recommending story ideas that advance priorities and initiatives
- Conducting interviews with leaders, faculty, staff and students for external publication
- Keeping well-informed on technological advancements that enhance marketing/communication objectives
- Verifying that content is consistent with brand identity guidelines
- Advising on effective content generation strategies
- Bachelor's degree or an acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum four (4) years related experience in communications or writing for a variety of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to write at a high level (i.e. Briefing notes for senior administrators) and write for broad audiences using principles of clear language.
- Ability to effectively communicate with students, staff and faculty at all levels of the University.
- Ability to motivate and work constructively with a variety of partners.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and working knowledge of In-Design are requirements.
- Demonstrated strong organization and time-management skills.
- Knowledge of the University of Toronto.
- Demonstrated independent problem-solving abilities.
TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL BE:
- Team player
Closing Date: 11/22/2020, 11:59PM EDT
Employee Group: USW
Appointment Type: Budget
- Term. This is a TERM position, December 1, 2020 to December 1, 2021.
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone: USW Pay Band 11
- $65,669 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $83,978. Pay scale and job class assignment is subject to determination pursuant to the Job Evaluation/Pay Equity Maintenance Protocol.
Job Category: Communication/Media/Public Relations