Technical Writer / Editor
- Burnaby, BC
D-Wave Systems has been leading the effort to commercialize quantum computing for over 21 years. At a little over 5000 qubits, our newest quantum computer, AdvantageTM, is the first quantum computer built for business. Our quantum cloud service, LeapTM, is the only cloud service that delivers real-time access to a quantum computer with a full suite of open-source programming tools. Leap now has hybrid capabilities that combine the power of quantum and classical computers enabling the solution of very large problems. Software tools make programming easy for our customers in languages like Python and C++.
D-Wave's customers come from a wide variety of industries and have developed more than 200 applications on our quantum system. With the combined capabilities of Advantage and the hybrid solver services in Leap, customers can now build and run quantum applications.
To support our growth and continued product releases, we are seeking a talented Technical Writer for our corporate headquarters in Burnaby, BC. In this role, you will work closely with software, hardware, support, and marketing teams to research and create customer-facing technical documentation. This includes API reference material, programming instructions, coding examples, system administration guides, hardware guides, release notes, and more.
To be successful in this role, you will need to achieve a good understanding of D-Wave's quantum computer, the Ocean software developer's kit (SDK), and the Leap quantum cloud service through study of existing materials and discussion with D-Wave's technical experts.
- Producing high-quality user-facing technical documentation that meets the needs of the intended technical audience
- Working with other teams at D-Wave to gain thorough understanding of information requirements
- Analyzing existing and potential content, focusing on reuse and single-sourcing opportunities
- Defining, reviewing, and updating document management and control processes
- Helping to define technical documentation standards; following and implementing the latest developments and trends in the industry
- Tracking, managing, and resolving documentation defects using Jira and Confluence
- Identifying gaps and inconsistencies in existing documentation, specifically for product maintenance and troubleshooting
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, or equivalent
- 5+ years of experience in a technical environment that includes software development
- 3+ years of work experience as a technical writer producing external facing documentation for hardware and software programming audiences
- Experience authoring, editing, and publishing online technical documentation
- Ability to deliver high-quality content with attention to detail
- Ability to quickly grasp complex technical concepts and make them easily understandable for end users
- Exceptionally clear written and verbal communication skills
Nice to have
- Experience coding in Python, HTML and/or CSS
- Experience maintaining and improving documentation frameworks and processes
- Experience approaching ?Docs-as-Code?
- Experience with reStructuredText (or Markdown) and Sphinx
- Experience with Jupyter Notebooks
- Experience with Git
- Experience with documentation translation / localization
This role is a direct hire, full-time opportunity. Full-time remote work will be allowed during the Covid pandemic. Post-Covid, the successful candidate will be based onsite at our Burnaby, BC location.
Please include a link to view your writing samples/portfolio with your application.
D-Wave is passionate about building a diverse and inclusive workplace and welcomes applicants from a wide range of backgrounds, identities and experiences. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or provincial law.