The First Nations Financial Management Board (The FMB) is Canada's only legislated body that develops and publishes First Nations Financial Management and Financial Performance Standards and upon request certifies First Nations compliance to those standards. The FMB is an Aboriginal institution that provides a suite of financial management tools and services to First Nations governments seeking to strengthen their fiscal stewardship and accountability regime and develop necessary capacity to meet their expanding fiscal and financial management requirements.
The FMB is one of the First Nation institutions created through the First Nations Fiscal Management Act (FMA). This federal legislation is designed primarily to provide participating First Nations with the tools and capacity needed to facilitate their participation in long-term pooled borrowing through the Capital Markets
- on a similar basis as other governments in Canada
- to support their social and economic development objectives.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Communications Specialist will develop and implement an effective organizational communication strategy promoting the mandate and programs of the Financial Management Board (FMB) to increase branding reputation, public awareness and participation.
The Communications Specialist is an integral part of creating and delivering information, both inside and outside of FMB by supporting both Public Relations and Marketing efforts by managing the FMB brand. Reporting to the CEO, the Communications Specialist coordinates and collaborates with all FMB business lines.
- Develops and implements the communication strategy for the organization;
- Maintains and enhances FMB's website and social media channels, content and presence;
- Prepares materials such as presentation kits, direct mail, print and web advertising, templates, speeches, letters, newsletters, articles, blogs, e-mail campaigns, internal marketing messages and other corporate communications;
- Understands our business, public relations and business jargon, the unique point of difference and our products and services;
- Develops the annual budget for the corporate communication function;
- Writes internal and external messaging that is persuasive, yet informative, concise and easy to understand for the targeted audience;
- Knows and understands our audience and uses demographic and psychographic data to target communication pieces;
- Produces advertising copy and other materials such as presentation kits, direct mail, print and web advertising, templates, speeches, letters, newsletters, articles, blogs, e-mail campaigns, internal marketing messages and other corporate communications as required;
- Proofreads, edits and writes a variety of materials and measures the effectiveness of the communication strategy;
- Builds community relations by attending various events and creates ideas that provide desired reactions in the audience;
- Oversees the coordination of a variety of events including conferences, seminars and other outreach events;
- Research's, writes and distributes press releases to targeted media;
- Makes recommendations for process improvements and more effective methods and mediums;
- Collaborates with external resources to create compelling videos and other marketing material;
- Stays current and maintain a knowledge of industry news and reference materials.
- Bachelors' degree in Business Administration, English, Journalism, Communications or relevant field;
- 3+ years' experience as a communication, copywriter or Public Relations specialist;
- Experience working with Indigenous Governments, organizations and communities considered an asset;
- Working knowledge and experience preparing budgets;
- Demonstrated effective writing skills, content development and editing skills;
- Ability to create visually appealing materials, graphic design skills are considered an asset;
- Effective working skills of Microsoft Suite and Adobe Products;
- Superior communication skills and an excellent command of written and spoken English; French language skills considered an asset;
- Ability to attend and conduct presentations.
Equivalent or relevant education and/or experience may be considered.
- Conveys information, both verbally and written, with confidence, consistency and clarity, using active listening techniques in order to effectively understand provided feedback, summarizing information according to the audience in order to promote engagement and increase understanding.
- Plans work and carries out tasks without detailed instructions; makes constructive suggestions; prepares for problems or opportunities in advance; responds to situations as they arise with minimal supervision; creates novel solutions to problems; evaluates new technology as potential solutions to existing problems;
- Anticipates the implications and consequences of situations and take appropriate action.
- Shows commitment to the organizational vision and strategic goals by acting in accordance to organizational expectations and through having a solid understanding of the internal environment.
- Is sought out as an expert to provide advice and solutions;
- Keeps informed about current and future trends in relevant areas;
- Embraces change and demonstrates a willingness to learn new skills and processes.
- Plans and delivers information to individuals and groups through a variety of communications modes, including presentations;
- Notices, interprets and anticipates staff and client concerns and feelings with tact and diplomacy;
- Gains others' support for ideas, proposals and solutions;
- Develops and maintains effective partnerships with others internally and externally to the organization;
- Consistently displays professionalism and confidence, creating a positive impression as an individual and representative of FMB.
- Identifies information needed to clarify a situation by seeking material from appropriate sources and analyzing all possibilities to come up with an effective solution;
- Effectively manages multiple priorities.
- This position is based in West Vancouver, British Columbia;
- Requires occasional national travel;
- Evening and weekend work may be required.
FMB is an equal opportunity employer that recognizes and celebrates the diversity of all First Nations and people across Canada. We are an inclusive organization that treats all employees equally. As a First Nations Organization, applicants of indigenous descent are highly encouraged to apply.