The Senior Communications Consultant is an experienced professional who will provide communications support for Advancement under the direction of the Associate Vice-President (AVP) Advancement.
The Senior Communications Officer will function as a generalist, having the ability to provide a range of communication services that support communications to both internal and external audiences. Such services may include communication planning, media relations, and writing for internal and external channels, including social media.
Work priorities will be determined in consultation with the AVP Advancement.
- Provide strategic advice and tactical communications support for various initiatives stemming from the University Relations portfolio and in collaboration with the AVP Advancement, Directors of Development and other leaders within the unit.
- Regularly liaise with the AVP and leaders in Advancement to keep abreast of initiatives, issues, and seek opportunities for proactive communications.
- Build and maintain a positive image for the university through the proactive communication of initiatives to a variety of stakeholders through strategic communication plan development, and at times, through issues management under the direction of the AVP Advancement or AVP Marketing & Communications.
- Manage and update the University Relations external website and Advancement-related pages under the direction of the AVP Advancement.
- Support response for Advancement-related media queries during the day, and after-hours when needed.
- Assist the University Relations team on major institutional announcements and events, including support with communications material development, gathering information and fact checking.
- Support Marketing and Communications colleagues with crisis communications as required.
- Provide communications support to the senior leadership team, under the guidance of the Associate Vice-President Marketing & Communications, on special projects.
- A Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, or a related discipline
- Seven (7) years working in a communications-related field
- Experience working with middle and senior management level leaders preferred
- Proven ability to produce and implement communications plans
- Demonstrated experience in donor relations, including developing and implementing strategies and creating content specifically for this unique audience.
- A proven track record in a complex, multi-stakeholder, fast-paced environment
- Strong writing skills, with attention to accuracy, and detail
- Ability to write in varied tones and formats, to reach diverse stakeholder audiences
- Experience in internal and external communications, media relations and issues management.
- Demonstrated skills in social media channels
- Strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work independently, and within a team
- Proven track record in handling sensitive and confidential issues with tact and diplomacy
- Experience with Microsoft Office
Please Note: If you are selected for interview, External Candidates will be required to bring a copy of their transcripts to the interview
Kamloops, BC CA (Primary)
# of Hires Needed
Thompson Rivers University
- > Advancement
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION COMMITMENT:
Thompson Rivers University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, our faculty and its scholarship including, but not limited to, women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
NOTE: To learn more about living in Kamloops and Thompson Rivers University please visit our Web Site. and follow the links on the Left "Why Work at TRU" or "Why Live in Kamloops"