Research and Communications Officers provide a wide array of research and communications support and
advice in support of MLAs and to assist in advancing the caucus message and agenda to British Columbians.
Director of Communications, Research and Legislative Initiatives
Legislative Assembly, Victoria
Immediate until January 23, 2021
- Identify opportunities and develop strategies and messages for MLAs to comment publicly on issues of importance to the caucus.
- Provide strategic advice and support for MLAs in the Legislature and their constituencies.
- Assist MLAs in preparation for media interviews, legislature debates, and public appearances.
- Write communications materials (letters to stakeholders, news releases, letters to editor, columns).
- Respond to requests for information from caucus members, staff and others as directed.
- Monitor opposition parties, government legislation, ministry programs and their budget estimates.
- Monitor media and other sources for developments related to assignments, including tracking
- government announcements and initiatives, and those of key stakeholders.
- Analyze, evaluate and prepare alternatives to government legislation, programs and regulations.
- Research and prepare papers and notes to assist caucus members to effectively advocate New
- Democrat positions and policy in their legislative and extra-parliamentary duties.
- Participate in group projects, which may involve other staff or MLAs on committees or task forces.
- Assist MLAs in developing relationships and maintaining contact with stakeholder groups and
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Must have a university degree or equivalent experience.
- Proven research and analytical skills including the ability to organize and interpret complex issues in ways that provide options and recommendations.
- A thorough knowledge of BC's political landscape and an understanding of the BC New Democratic Party.
- An ability to respond well to short deadlines and shifting priorities.
- Familiarity with a broad range of research applications and databases.
- A clear, concise writing style that conveys facts and interpretation in an easy to understand way.
- Strong range of interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of people, including MLAs, senior management and colleagues in and outside of the department
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
Salary and benefits as per the BCGEU (Caucus Workers') Collective Agreement.
Email resume and cover letter via Isarta. Please note: Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.