Closing date: January 14, 2021
Internal Communications and Engagement Specialist (Continuous)
Human Resources Department
Victoria is a vibrant and sustainably focused city, renowned as a globally recognized tourist destination welcoming over 3.5 million visitors annually and a place with an exceptional quality of life for its residents. Located on the southern tip of Vancouver Island and the capital of British Columbia, Victoria is home to over 80,000 people and is the economic and cultural centre for the Capital Region's 350,000 residents. The City is experiencing change and growth with increased levels of development, and major City-building initiatives on the horizon.
The Internal Communications and Engagement Specialist is a new role, created to fill a critical need identified through employee engagement initiatives, and provides a unique opportunity to strategically advance the City's approach to internal communications. Reporting to the Head of Human Resources, the position will support the development and implementation of strategies and initiatives to support employee engagement and facilitate organizational change.
As the successful candidate, you are an experienced communications professional who enjoys developing and executing internal communications strategies and plans, including producing a wide variety of content and materials. You are known as a credible collaborator and relationship builder, have demonstrated your ability to identify and respond to emergent issues in a complex environment, and possess a strong interest in fostering employee engagement and a positive employee experience.
Under the direction of the Head of Human Resources, the Internal Communications and Engagement Specialist leads the development, delivery and evaluation of internal communications strategies, materials, campaigns and projects in support of employee engagement in our organizational community and connection to our strategic direction. This position develops and maintains collaborative partnerships within the organization, effectively connecting with employees through the planning, implementation and measurement of strategic communications and engagement initiatives.
- Recommends communication and employee engagement strategies to senior management to increase awareness of existing and emerging programs, policies and services for appropriate audiences. Provides communications advice, planning, coordination, execution and measurement.
- Researches, develops, organizes, writes, edits and implements a wide variety of communications products and materials for all media and channels (including digital signage, intranet, web and in-person) to support organizational strategies, ensuring consistency and accuracy of messaging and appropriate reflection of corporate brand and standards. Ensures content meets strategic engagement goals.
- Working with colleagues in the Engagement Department, ensures the overall quality, consistency and effectiveness of complex communication materials.
- Coordinates opportunities for the City Manager and other senior leaders to connect with employees through various mediums such as podcasts, tours, meet and greets and special events.
- Increases transparency of decision making by senior leaders by planning and coordinating formal and informal consultation processes to support internal communication of organizational and service priorities.
- Ensures responsiveness to current and emerging business needs, increasing the quality of communications and the flow of information throughout the organization to enable employee engagement and a positive employee experience.
- Identifies, analyzes and tracks current and emerging issues as well as potential risks related to organizational objectives through monitoring, collecting and evaluating formal and informal feedback from employees and uses this information to inform senior leaders.
- In collaboration with the Learning and Development Consultant, evaluates the effectiveness of engagement activities through research and surveys; analyzes and tracks issues, risks, and prepares reports for senior staff decision making. Supports the analysis of roadblocks, identification of key factors and underlying causes to generate solutions.
- Facilitates the development of partnerships and information sharing with other government organizations and community partners.
- Performs other related duties as required.
A level of education, training and experience equivalent to an undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline such as Public Relations, Communications or Journalism, combined with at least four years of experience in a communications role.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Practiced in business writing and the creation of compelling publications; skill and proficiency in organizational electronic communication technology, desktop publishing and web-based technology practices would be beneficial. Intermediate or greater working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of products, Adobe Acrobat, database and web-based programs is required.
Excellent interpersonal and communications skills (verbal and written) including the ability to:
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, clients and outside contacts;
- handle highly confidential and sensitive issues with skill, tact and diplomacy;
- communicate complex information in a simplified way to different audiences;
- work independently and as part of team
Good problem solving, analytical and investigative skills; knowledge of research methodologies and techniques (including online) and how to coordinate formal and informal consultation processes.
Fundamental project management skills and ability to organize a demanding workload and prioritize and manage multiple project demands while under pressure; flexibility to respond to changing priorities. Ability to monitor expenditures and recommend budget reallocations.
To apply for this opportunity you will need to create an online profile or log back in to our career portal at www.victoria.ca/jobs
- only online submission will be considered. All applications must be submitted online by 4:30 pm on the closing date noted on the posting. Please be prepared to provide proof of qualifications and supporting materials as outlined in your resume
City of Victoria is an equal opportunity employer committed to establishing an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment for all. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or any other basis protected by applicable law.
We are committed to ensuring that reasonable accommodations are made available to persons with disabilities during the recruitment cycle and will provide reasonable accommodations upon request. If you require assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email us at Via Isarta