Date Posted: 12/18/2020
Req ID: 2093
Faculty/Division: VP & Provost
Department: Hart House
Campus: St. George (Downtown Toronto)
Hart House is a centre for experiential education outside the classroom at the University of Toronto. Since it opened in 1919, Hart House functions as a place where students, faculty, staff, alumni and members of the broader community connect with each other and the world. Through an array of co-curricular programming in the arts, dialogue and wellness, Hart House works with local and international partners to foster community and to create innovative learning opportunities for students. Hart House operates from a historic facility on the St. George campus, as well as a 150-acre farm in Caledon, Ontario, offering a wide range of services through a social enterprise model that generates revenue to support its student-focused programming on all three University of Toronto campuses.
The Marketing and Communications department develops and implements marketing and communication plans, strategies and tactics to support the strategic goals of Hart House. We promote Hart House's programming and services through Hart House owned and campus run media and channels as well as external media. Our primary areas of focus include supporting Learning and Community programming, Hart House Fitness Centre, Hart House Hospitality services and Hart House Theatre. In addition, we also provide support to the Warden's Office, Advancement, Staff Relations, Information HUB, Facilities and other areas of Hart House as needed. We implement a wide range of marketing and communication strategies to build lasting connections with our diverse audience groups including students, faculty, staff, alumni, donors, clients, members and the broader community.
The Communications Officer, Social Media and Digital Channels, reports to the Manager, Marketing and Communications, Sales and Programming and will play an essential role in the development and management of Hart House's social media and other digital channels. The incumbent is responsible for creating and maintaining Hart House's presence on social media platforms and works closely with other Hart House staff or student groups who manage other Hart House's branded social media channels. This role is also responsible for the development of social media advertising strategies and campaigns supporting the various goals of Hart House. In addition, the incumbent is also responsible for the production of other digital promotional and outreach materials including our weekly and quarterly newsletters. This role will regularly analyze and report the effectiveness of the digital campaigns and programs and based on the available data and metrics, will optimize the social media and digital communications tactics accordingly.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Advising on strategies to maximize social media presence and growth
- Creating and maintaining presence on social media platforms
- Fostering and maintaining positive relationships with targeted social media communities
- Implementing social media campaigns
- Implementing digital communication plans across a broad range of marketing/communication channels
- Producing promotional and outreach materials
- Analyzing the effectiveness of campaigns and/or programs using metrics
- Analyzing digital analytic report data
- BA, preferably in Digital Media or Journalism or related field, or an acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum 5 years demonstrated experience and superior skills in development and creation of (from start to finish) compelling social media and digital content, inclusive posts, stories and longer form content with video; experience developing, managing and measuring social media communities, advertising campaigns and strategies; experience and expertise with the major social media management tools
- Sprout, HootSuite, Sprinklr and others
- Expertise with managing the major social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, Blogs, Pinterest, etc.)
- Technical and strategic experience with electronic newsletter functionality and content management
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity and inclusiveness in all work responsibilities and in collaborative workplace practices
- Demonstrable ability to work both independently and collaboratively withina team environment in a busy, deadline oriented workplace
- Proven initiative, creativity and problem solving skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, able to multi-task effectively
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy in all work
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Strong interpersonal skills in working with colleagues, students and other partners
- Familiarity with higher education culture and context, including student experience, student demographics, experiential learning and current student life trends
- Familiarity with Hospitality and Fitness Centre industries also an asset
- Experience in Google Analytics and other web data collection tools
- Basic knowledge of Wordpress, Adobe CS, html, etc.
To be successful in this role you will be:
Closing Date: 01/08/2021, 11:59PM EDT
Employee Group: USW
Appointment Type: Budget
Schedule: Full-Time. Regular daytime schedule, with overtime on weekdays.
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone:
USW Pay Band 11
- $65,669 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $83,978. Pay scale and job class assignment is subject to determination pursuant to the Job Evaluation/Pay Equity Maintenance Protocol.
Job Category: Communication/Media/Public Relations
Recruiter: Sharon McBean