The Marketing & Communications Coordinator is a dynamic, team-oriented individual that is responsible for development and oversight of all communication activities, initiatives, and strategies for the Williams Lake First Nation (WLFN) community. The Marketing & Communications Coordinator will work closely with and report to the Senior Manager, Human Resources as well as collaborate with the Chief and Council, Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) and WLFN department leaders to develop and execute a clear and transparent communications program that engages internal/external audiences and stakeholders. This is a 1-year full-time term position that may be extended to permanent, full time position.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop, implement, and evaluate external and internal communication plans and have oversight of all communication initiatives from execution through completion.
- Lead surveys, questionnaires, and other feedback instruments to garner community input on various projects.
- Maintain and update information on the WLFN website, ensuring consistency in messaging and brand.
- Maintain WLFN's online presence through social media management and content creation.
- Build strong engagement with WLFN membership on and off reserve, Chief and Council, employees, management, and external contacts.
- Develop professional working relations with the media including the local newspaper, television, radio, special publications, and professional journals.
- Collaboratively work with WLFN departments and collect relevant news, resources, and posts in a timely manner to feature on our website and social media platforms.
- Act as a liaison between WLFN membership and leadership on specific media events, press releases or any other issue that Council needs to be aware of.
- Assist the CAO and elected officials with the public relations aspect strategies.
- Monitor for media coverage, and create clippings documents, presentations, and external communications summaries.
- Research ways to reach a wider consumer base, either online or in print.
- Ensures that all promotional materials are aligned with WLFN's brand identity.
- Attend meetings; receive and prioritize communication tasks and keep all parties involved of progress.
- Develop and maintain a well-organized filing/archival system (electronic) of external communication documents that permit easy reference and rapid retrieval of information.
- Develop a quarterly Council newsletter and the WLFN annual report.
- Develop video assets to distribute on WLFN's dynamic online video platform in collaboration with World Play Canada and Vidflex.
- Analyze and report to the CAO on effectiveness of communications strategy.
- Supports the mission, vision, and values of Williams Lake First Nation.
- Contributes to the WLFN's ongoing success by accomplishing other duties as required or assigned.
The duties listed are provided as examples of area of responsibility and are not intended to create limits to responsibility but to help understand the scope of the position. All staff are expected to be team oriented and maintain confidentiality of all information gained while working with the organization.
- Undergraduate or post graduate degree in Journalism, Communications, Political Science, or Marketing
- Visual arts, communications, journalism, graphic design, or videography diploma/certification.
- A combination of relevant professional or personal experience that enables you to dynamically tell WLFN's story.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience in communications, journalism/media, public relations, or a related field
- Experience utilizing and developing a wide range of communications tools, including social media, press releases, newsletters and print media will be required.
- Proficiency in Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator and Acrobat
- Knowledge and personal interest in videography, graphic design, or creative mediums.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software at an intermediate/advanced level
- Proficiency in report writing, budget management, time management, defining goals and objectives and setting priorities
- Experience with effective advertising and promotional techniques
Skills & Abilities:
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Excellent writing, editing and research skills, with a strong grasp of grammar, spelling, punctuation, and style; must have a meticulous eye for detail.
- Strategic and solutions-oriented approach to challenges
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing priorities and deliver exceptional work in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, very good judgment, and strong initiative
- Strong work ethic, self-motivated, and results-driven
- Exceptional project management, writing, editing and proof-reading skills.
- Maintains professionalism in all circumstances
- Recognizes and respects all cultural diversity and understands Indigenous culture.
- Office environment.
- Dynamic environment with multiple demands, changing priorities and interruptions.
- To be aware of sensitivity, confidentiality and urgency of requests while balancing other work commitments.
- Travel may be required
- Non-standard hours of work
- May be required to accommodate the community needs and that may consist of evenings and weekends.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Criminal Records Check
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a valid BC Driver's License and Driver's Abstract
- Must provide a vehicle in good operating condition and appropriate vehicle insurance to meet program requirements OR access to company vehicle is provided and requires a valid Driver's License
WHY SHOULD YOU APPLY?
- Very competitive benefits package
- Excellent learning and advancement opportunities
- Positive and exciting work environment
- Safe & healthy workplace
Deadline for Applications: Open until filled
**We appreciate your interest in working with us; however, only those applicants shortlisted will be contacted. If you do not hear from us about this position, please accept our sincere appreciation for your interest in our organization! We encourage you to watch out for future opportunities on our website & social media platforms.