Regular Full Time
Position: Social Media Coordinator
Reports to: Content Strategy Manager, Marketing and Communications
Science World is a charitable organization making science-learning opportunities accessible to communities across British Columbia. Our mission is to ignite wonder and empower dreams through science and nature. We want to make sure that everyone-regardless of background, location and family income-has access to the wonders of science. Our vision is that within a generation, Canada will be a country of thriving, sustainable communities rooted in scientific literacy, technological innovation and a deep connection to nature.
The Social Media Coordinator will work cross departmentally to create and schedule digital content that supports the organization's marketing, development and programmatic needs.
Our ideal candidate possesses impeccable brand management skills in order to maintain a consistent voice and presence for the Science World brand across platforms. This position will work collaboratively with content writers, fundraisers, external partners and the creative team to promote digital media content for video, blogs and social media. We are seeking a strong communicator who understands how to apply social media in connecting people and brands.
The Social Media Coordinator must be familiar with social media management systems, and will report to the Content Strategy Manager to develop and execute content strategies across platforms. You must be able to organize and support project managers on various simultaneous campaigns.
This position requires an enthusiastic, organized, independent and creative individual with a passion for science and learning, and with experience coordinating digital content for a large multi-faceted organization.
Confidence and experience with working in a high-energy creative team is a must. This position requires flexibility in workload distribution across our annual cycle with periodic weekend and evening work, typically connected to specific program cycles, special events or updates to our stakeholders.
- Coordinate and manage all organizational Social Media Accounts
- Work with the Content Strategy Manager to develop and collaborate strategic storytelling-based and results-driven content
- Strengthen relationships using social media with Science World visitors, community partners, donors, etc.
- Interact with potential visitors and respond to social media messages, inquiries, and comments
- Undertake social listening, monitoring of similar brands, and provide ideas for how to continually improve social content
- Email marketing and communications
- Assist in the writing and editing of written, video, and photo social content
- Stay current in new media best practices and experiment with new and emerging platforms
- Build and maintain relationships with local social media influencers to create a strong community of brand supporters
- Attend and produce live social media content for events at Science World
- Regularly, actively explore opportunities for Science World to partner with and expand and improve our digital engagement presence/activity
- Coordinate the scheduling of email newsletters and produce social media analytics for digital campaigns
- Monthly reports communicating digital engagement activity and progress across our programs and galleries
- Collaborate with Content Strategy Manager and marketing team to create a social media calendar
- Manage, balance, and report on social media budget each month
- Manage events on Science World website
- Other duties as required
- A related degree such as journalism, marketing, communications, science communications or equivalent work experience, ideally with a minimum of 2 years of experience in community management
- A proven ability to translate complex subjects into fun, digestible language for the general public
- Excellent writing skills and an ability to write for, and make content accessible to all levels of users
- Demonstrated experience writing and managing web content and creating successful content strategies for social media
- Ability to think broadly and make connections about program, exhibit and community-relevant content and activity
- Demonstrated dependability, reliability, flexibility, and ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a part of an energetic and creative team
- Strong ability to identify and take action to help where required, and to organize and prioritize tasks in a way that is most helpful to the larger goals of the organization
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel), Wordpress, content management systems, Google Analytics, reporting tools and social media platforms
- Other nice-to-haves include: Experience in video production management, Adobe Creative suite and media training
- This role involves the ability to work flexible hours including weekends, holidays and evenings as necessary
Please apply by Monday, January 18, 2021
Please upload a cover letter and a copy of your resume as part of your application
- All offers are subject to satisfactory completion of reference and police criminal record checks.
We would like to thank all candidates. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted *