Job title :SENIOR COMMUNICATIONS LEAD, CORPORATE COMMUNICATIONS
Facility :KELOWNA CHSC
Status :PERMANENT FULL TIME
The Senior Communications Lead plays a key role on the Communications Leadership Team, and works closely with Interior Health (IH) leaders to develop strategic communications and marketing that informs and engages large, IH-wide audiences including employees, medical staff, and volunteers, as well as external audiences.
The Senior Communications Lead, Corporate Communications provides day to day task direction and subject matter expertise to Communications/Marketing Consultants. The Lead is expected to take on high profile,complex files while also being responsible for developing, managing, and delivering high quality, timely communications and marketing support. The Lead develops and maintains collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders as well as Portfolio employees to meet client(s)' needs in a manner that supports the business objectives and reflects the IH vison, mission, values and goals.
The position requires a high-energy, self-directed, results and deadline-oriented individual with exceptional communications, marketing and leadership skills. Tact, discretion, teamwork, and excellent customer service skills are imperative.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides leadership to Communications and Marketing staff through coaching, guiding and modeling key behaviours and strategies, encouraging dialogue, and providing guidance and advice to facilitate resolutions to work issues.
- Coordinates and assigns tasks for the Communications/Marketing Consultants including acting as subject matter expert and thought leader.
- Develops, coordinates, and manages daily and proactive engagement frameworks to support the organization as assigned by the Director.
- Acts as a strategic advisor to an assigned client group of IH leaders or portfolios. Works to understand their communications and marketing needs and provide guidance on effective strategies that will help them inform their audience, respond to issues, and articulate their message.
- Proactively supports the development, implementation, and evaluation of IH-wide communications and marketing plans for projects and initiatives. Works in partnership with program and department leads, to ensure their programs, initiatives, and services are effectively communicated to diverse internal and external audiences as required.
- Utilizes strong presentation and content development skills to create clear, timely communications support such as breifs, issues notes, promotions, news releases, correspondence, speaking notes, newsletters, or digital content to meet client(s)' needs.
- Identifies opportunities for improved two-way communication and methods for IH to most effectively share information with employees and medical staff as well as external audiences.
- As a senior member of the Communications Portfolio, participates in the development or delivery of various communications-related resources, made available to senior management, directors, staff, and physicians.
- Provides on-call (after hours) coverage according to Portfolio schedule.
- Collaborates with other Portfolio staff, as required, to coordinate and execute assigned tasks, ensuring that service delivery is seamless for clients and deadlines are met.
- Performs other related duties as may be assigned.
- A Bachelor's degree specializing in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, or a related field.
- A minimum of 5 to 7 years or recent, related experience.
- An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience, with demonstrated results in communications will also be considered.
Demonstrates all LEADS Capabilities, in particular:
- Leads Self/Cultural Agility
- self-awareness, demonstrates character; noticing and adapting to cultural uniqueness to create a sense of safety for all.
- Engages Others/Empathy
- communicates effectively; listens with heart rather than reacting
- Achieves Results/Process Orientation
- takes action to implement decisions, assesses & evaluates results, follows culturally respectful processes that also produce results
- Develops Coalitions/Building a Trust-Based Relationship
- builds partnership and networks to create results, demonstrates a commitment to customers and service, participating in open exchanges of experiences and culture
- System Transformation/Credible Champion
- demonstrates systems/critical thinking, strategically oriented to the future, champions & orchestrates change, remains self-aware and maintains effective relationships, shows courage and conviction in advocating for change for the betterment of Aboriginal people.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to lead and work as part of a collaborative, high performance team.
- Ability to provide communication advice and direction to leaders on complex/ sensitive issues relating to media and government requirement and in high-pressure, time-sensitive situations.
- Ability to respond to emerging issues in a manner that reflects IH values and goals.
- Demonstrated understanding of communications, marketing and public or media relations best practices.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication and proof-reading skills.
- Ability to develop, implement, and evaluate strategic, operational, and issues management-related communication.
- Ability to effectively work with senior leaders and other stakeholders in a wide variety of settings across the organization.
- Strong understanding of political and health care environment, including local and regional councils and leadership structures in British Columbia.
- Creative and skilled in presenting content visually through various media (websites, social media, presentations, videos, print, etc.)
- Ability to set priorities and be results-oriented.
- Ability to remain calm, alert, and high functioning under stressful situations.
- Ability to handle highly confidential and sensitive issues with skill, tact, and diplomacy.
- Problem-solving and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced computer skills.
- Ability to carry out the duties of the position with a high degree of ethical and professional behaviour.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.