If you're looking for a company that's ambitious in its thinking, has a thirst for learning and a drive to improve and innovate... you've come to the right place.
We want people who share our enthusiasm for curiosity and diversity of thought to join us on our journey. People who are passionate about what they do and will help build our company's great future. In return, we'll provide challenging work, professional development and competitive compensation.
PETRONAS Canada is looking for an experienced professional to join our team in Calgary as Sr. External Communications Advisor. Reporting to the Director, External Affairs, this role will be responsible for shaping our public reputation and building our brand in Canada through strategic external communications opportunities and executing initiatives to champion the Company's strategic direction.
The ideal candidate will have experience building and executing a public relations strategy, be well-versed in strategic communication channels, brand management and developing substantive content to support our external engagement with stakeholders, government and the public.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Facilitate alignment of internal and external communication and messaging
- Identify emerging and ongoing reputational and public policy issues which could impact PETRONAS Canada and joint venture partners, and develop strategies and solutions
- Lead the development and execution of communications strategies that enhance our external profile and reputation, aligning with stakeholder concerns and our corporate sustainability strategy, brand and culture
- Be the main contact for media relations, including preparing briefing materials, presentations and key messages for external engagements, media interviews, as well as press release distribution
- Build strong and trusting relationships with key internal and external stakeholders including internal subject matter experts, communication leads within the corporate head office in Malaysia, and media
- Lead the bi-annual stakeholder engagement survey in operating areas, conducting perception polls externally as required, and consistently reviewing CAPP polling results
- Be the primary point of contact with corporate head office in Malaysia's communications team and coordinate responses to head office requests
- Create and manage an internal speakers bureau, providing messaging support, and training and preparedness for participation on panels and keynotes
- Develop messaging and position statements on key issues affecting the industry to strategically build PETRONAS Canada's reputation as a thought leader
- Provide direction for the overall design and content of the Company's external website and social media platforms
- Manage the crisis communications plan and training for the department, acting as the Public Information Officer whenever required
- Evaluate the effectiveness of external communications plans and tools, identifying tactics and strategies to improve both audience reach and perception
- Provide support at external events as required
- Support Field Operations on external affairs as needed
Required Education, Experience and Skills
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Communications, Public Relations or Journalism (or similar)
- 10+ years' progressive experience in the fields of corporate communications, public relations, media relations or stakeholder engagement
- Natural resource or energy industry knowledge is essential
- Experience a dynamic deadline-driven environment is considered an asset
- Exceptional written and presentation skills, balancing big-picture vision and attention to detail
- Proven ability to earn the confidence of executive leaders, developing and maintaining trusting working relationships throughout the organization
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Proficiency in managing corporate social media channels
- Strong networking skills, with the ability to build solid, productive relationships with community organizations and other stakeholders, while maintaining awareness of public perception
- Proven ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects, prioritize requests and respond quickly and effectively to time-sensitive issues
- Ability to think strategically and handle confidential and sensitive information with a high degree of professionalism
- Demonstrated complex problem-solving and decision-making skills with sound judgment and the ability to identify emerging priorities and issues
- Periodic travel may be required
Applications will be accepted until January 15, 2021.
Why Choose PETRONAS Canada:
- Competitive compensation and bonus programs
- Comprehensive benefits package, including a Health Spending Account
- Generous employer-matched savings plan
- Flexible work schedules for office employees, with the option of Friday afternoons off
- Vacation, flex, and designated office closure days
- Commitment to volunteerism in the communities in which we operate
- Annual company charity donation
- Support for training and professional development, including reimbursement of professional association dues
PETRONAS Canada would like to thank all applicants for their interest in joining our team; however only the candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.