This posting is for 1 temporary full-time position for up to 2 years
Are you an internal communications professional with expertise in providing multiple project-based communications solutions and implementing communication and change management plans within a fast- paced environment?
If so, come join the Human Resources Department of Strathcona County as our Communications Specialist!
Reporting to the Manager, Organizational Effectiveness within the Human Resources Department, you will be responsible for building employee awareness and providing a full range of communications services, including developing and implementing communications and engagement strategies. You will serve internal audiences by providing a range of communications and marketing services that include developing and implementing communication strategies, recommending best approaches and producing communication materials. You may also provide communications expertise on other corporate division initiatives, working in conjunction with the County's Communications department as required.
- Support the Human Resources department and the People Plan Stewardship Committee in developing strategies to heighten employee awareness and engagement in various initiatives and projects
- Develop communication and change management tools to support various HR and corporate initiatives, programs, and policies
- Incorporate brand messaging in communications and ensure visual identity and writing style guidelines and standards are met to advance brand/reputation
- Contribute to internal communications, engagement, and change management initiatives, including implementation of supporting tools
- Provide communications support as required during an emergency incident or crisis
- Liaise with corporate Communications to ensure HR is aware of and follows current processes and protocols when communicating on internal website, and with Mayor, Council, SLT and County employees
- Initiate, create and post dynamic content to online channels (social media, intranet) to support internal business and communication objectives
- Support Corporate Communications in liaising with media in relation to project or event news and messaging as required
- Evaluate current communication processes and recommend changes for improved effectiveness and efficiencies
Skills and Abilities
- Excellent planning, organizational and project management skills
- Demonstrated solid written and verbal communication skills with the ability to work under time restraints and adapt to changing job priorities
- Ability to advise cross-departmental teams to create synergy in achieving communications goals
- Strong interpersonal communication skills that include active listening, critical thinking and problem-solving, professionalism, tact and teamwork
- Strong proficiency in a computer environment (Microsoft Suite, web content, and database software) and ability to make best use of technology
- Strong understanding of change management methodologies and practices is an asset
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Communications, Public Relations or related discipline with two years of related experience; or a Communications diploma with four years of related experience
- Internal communications and/or change management experience in a public sector environment is preferred
- Membership in a communication professional association (IABC or CPRS) is an asset
- Graphic design software and photography/image editing skills and experience is an asset
- Solid understanding of communication principles and practices within the field
In addition to providing a dynamic working environment, we offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials as noted in the resume.
Competition #004-2021-EXT-HRS closes January 17, 2021
Thank you for your interest in Strathcona County. We only contact candidates selected for interviews.
A cover letter must be submitted along with a resume describing the interest in this position.