Communications Support / Communications / Faculty of Medicine
$5,790-$8,342 CAD Monthly
Posting End Date
January 20, 2021
Note: Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the day prior to the Posting End Date above.
Job End Date
Job Description Summary
The Digital Marketing Specialist is responsible for developing and managing social media and other digital platforms within the Faculty of Medicine. The Digital Marketing Specialist engages with a variety of audiences to elevate the Faculty's brand story and messaging across all digital platforms. The role will support high-impact projects led by the Faculty of Medicine's Communications team that are integral to the achievement of the Faculty's strategic plan priorities.
Our Vision: To Transform Health for Everyone .
Our Values: Respect, Integrity, Compassion, Collaboration and Equity.
The Faculty of Medicine is comprised of approximately 2,200 administrative support, technical/research and management and professional staff, as well approximately 650 full-time academic and 8,500 clinical faculty members and is composed of 19 academic basic science and/or clinical departments, three schools, and 23 research centres and institutes. Together with its University and Health Authority partners, the Faculty delivers innovative programs and conducts research in the areas of health and life sciences. Faculty, staff and trainees are located at university campuses, clinical academic campuses in hospital settings and other regionally based centres across the province.
This position reports to the Director, Communications. Works closely and collaboratively with the Faculty of Medicine Communications team, particularly with the Digital Communications Specialist. Also, works collaboratively with UBC's Brand & Marketing team.
Represents the Faculty of Medicine (the Faculty) and engages core audiences on major social media and digital platforms.
Researches, writes and edits new and existing content to maintain timely, consistent and relevant material on all digital channels, and ensures content is of high quality and consistent with the Faculty's brand.
Creates and implements content marketing and social media strategies to support the Faculty's goals, generate awareness and build engagement.
Plans and plays a lead role in content strategy and editorial decisions for med.ubc.ca and related top-level digital channels, including creating and updating digital content.
Ability to shoot and edit digital videos.
Develops, plans and sets timelines to implement digital strategies and campaigns.
Develops and implements the Faculty's social media calendar.
Oversees activation and maintenance of social media tools.
Researches and advises on social media platforms, current trends and new innovations.
Acts as a project manager for delivery of overall social media content.
Lead advisor to Faculty departments, schools and centres on best practices regarding UBC's Brand and Marketing guidelines.
Develops and designs e-newsletters and broadcast emails.
Researches and writes reports about outcomes, patterns, trends and levels of engagement across social media channels.
Provides training and information to faculty and staff.
Supports the Communications team in all phases of communications efforts and performs other related duties as required.
Consequence of Error/Judgement
This position has responsibilities to plan and implement content marketing and communications strategies for the Faculty of Medicine that enhance brand equity and reputation. The work and decisions made will have an impact on the goals and efficacy of the UBC/Faculty brand. The position requires the ability to maintain accuracy with strong attention to detail and to exercise good judgement, tact and discretion. Poor judgement, inappropriate procedures, incorrect information and lack of diplomacy could adversely affect relationships with stakeholders and damage the reputation of the Faculty and university.
Works independently, under the general guidance and direction of the Director, Communications.
May work with external contractors and vendors.
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline. Or graduation from a recognized technical institute.
Minimum of three years' experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in all aspects of social media, coordinating multiple web projects, ideally in a complex organizational environment.
- Experience with copy writtng, marketing and promotions.
- Knowledge of branding and working within a graphic identity system.
- Effective oral, interpersonal, presentation, and public relations skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with an ability to impart and interpret technical information with audiences of mixed levels of ability.
- Capacity for creativity and research; ability to exercise initiative, resourcefulness, and judgment.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated organizational skills in project and time management.
- Ability to exercise diplomacy, tact, and discretion when working with confidential and/or sensitive information and in dealing with various levels of administration and external agencies.
- Ability to work both independently and within team and to work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Ability to assess own performance and report on project status to senior staff.
- Awareness and understanding of the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion and its application in all marketing and communication activities.
- Knowledge of search engine optimization techniques.
- Ability to use desktop publishing software at an advanced level, such as Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, etc.).
- Strong knowledge of MS Office tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Familiarity with general web technology including HTML, HTML authoring tools, FBML, CSS, RSS/syndication, image formats, podcasting, streaming media and search engines.
- Knowledge of data-driven decision-making social media statistics reporting and tracking tools.