The Hunter Hub for Entrepreneurial Thinking within VP Research invites applications for a Marketing and Communications Specialist. This Full-time Fixed Term position is for approximately 14 months(based on length of grant funding), with the possibility of extension.
Created with a generous gift from the Hunter Family Foundation in 2017, the Hunter Hub for Entrepreneurial Thinking is U Calgary's central community hub that transforms lives and economies through fostering entrepreneurial thinking in students, faculty and the community. Our mission is to create and support game-changing innovators and accelerate their ideas from conception to impact. Located in the Vice-President Research portfolio, the Hunter Hub contributes directly to the University of Calgary's strategic vision to be the most entrepreneurial university in Canada.
Reporting to the Manager, Marketing and Communications of the Hunter Hub, and working collaboratively with central units as well as all innovation organizations and faculties of the university, the Marketing and Communications Specialist will work to build and enhance the profile and reputation of the Hunter Hub and the University of Calgary in entrepreneurial thinking and innovation, delivering on the objectives set out in the marketing communications strategy and supporting initiatives that grow entrepreneurial thinking awareness and skills among students and faculty.
Success in this role is defined by building and engaging our community locally, nationally and beyond across all channels, reaching the greatest number of individuals and faculties across the University and beyond and building the University's brand in entrepreneurial thinking and innovation via communications, content, and community engagement initiatives, events and programs. By 2030, the University's goal is for all students to be aware of entrepreneurial thinking and 50% of the student population to have been involved in innovation experiences at some stage during their programs.
This position will be a in a fast-moving, innovative environment with a high volume of visible, complex work. There will be competing demands based on multiple deadlines and the incumbent must communicate regularly with many stakeholders with a high degree of professionalism and judgement.
Primary Purpose of the Position: (Key purpose, functions, roles):
The Marketing and Communications Specialist will assist the Marketing and Communications Manager in the launch and development of both short- and long
- term marketing and communications strategies to build awareness of the Hunter Hub and entrepreneurial thinking initiatives across campus, locally, and nationally; and promote all programs and activities through compelling communications, marketing and advertising deliverables in a variety of media, including print, digital, social, interactive, and mobile.
The Marketing and Communications Specialist will be a creative, collaborative team player with skills and expertise in marketing, communications, digital strategy, and project management. The role is required to interact continuously with students, faculty, staff and community partners, with a strong client service orientation. The incumbent will also work closely with the Hunter Hub team to provide efficient and effective event coordination support.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
Marketing and Communications (50%)
- Create, support and execute marketing and communication plans to build awareness of Hunter Hub, and the UCalgary innovation and entrepreneurial thinking community: support related programs and events targeted to engage students (both undergraduate and graduate) and partners from the community (faculty members, post doctoral and student associations, other administrative units and external partners).
- Manage, and where required, lead the establishment of marketing and communication channels including newsletter and social media platforms for the Hunter Hub.
- Use templates to create professional graphics, document and image for web and print materials using Adobe programs (light graphic work only); Ensure that the University branding standards are consistently used.
- Monitor, develop, publish and update content on the Hunter Hub website, and maintain all aspects of the Hunter Hub website on an on-going basis.
- Be a Hunter Hub ambassador in the Collision Space and at events; professionally liaise with students, faculty, partners and others, as necessary; Organize and maintain all displays and presentation materials in the Hunter Hub Collision space and at external events, where required.
- Maintain group mailing lists and manage updates.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with University contacts (especially communicators across campus) and external stakeholders; communicate within and outside the University in a professional and proficient manner.
- Provide general communications support as needed to the HHET team.
- Review and execution of partner/sponsorship fulfillments and ad placements.
Content Creation (20%)
- Support the University's brand in entrepreneurial thinking through creating and/or writing cutting edge marketing materials and templates (print and digital) and other content (i.e. articles, videos, case studies, etc.) that amplify UCalgary's innovators, thought leadership in entrepreneurial thinking and innovation, and related initiatives; Create relevant, accurate, interesting, timely content.
- Work with faculty, subject matter experts and stakeholders and/or external vendors to develop cutting edge, relevant and engaging entrepreneurial thinking resources and materials for marcom channels and instructional materials for the classroom.
- Support the Hunter Hub team to develop interesting, inspiring innovation events such as event series, hackathons and experiential learning events with different faculties, organizations, and experts.
Event support (20%)
- Support the execution of Hunter Hub events and programs as required, including logistics and resource allocation; agendas, event briefs or programs; invitation and registration of guests, speakers and/or participants.
- Develop and execute the promotional collateral and communications as required for all events and programs. (e.g. agendas, event briefs, participant lists, speaking notes, slide decks, etc.)
- Coordinate photography, graphic design, audio/video production, and social media activities at events as required.
Analysis and Reporting (10%)
- Work with the Marketing and Communications Manager to develop marketing, communication and outreach metrics and budgets and oversee expenditures as required.
- Prepare and present regular status reports, dashboards, correspondence and other documentation; provide timely and accurate information and updates to senior leadership; Monitor the efficacy of communications efforts through analysis and adapt as needed to increase efficacy.
- Produce regular analytics on events, web traffic, social media, and other metrics as required.
Qualifications / Requirements:
- A Bachelor's degree or diploma in communications, marketing, public relations or related field; a combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Minimum three years' experience in the marketing and communications field, with exposure to digital marketing channels (web and social media).
- Demonstrated ability to plan and execute small to medium marketing and communications projects from end-to-end; exposure to integrated marketing campaigns is an asset.
- Experience in producing a variety of communication and marketing vehicles aimed at various audiences such as: external/internal communications (knowledge of CP style), marketing collateral, web, email, e-newsletters and social media content.
- Basic photography and videography skills would be considered assets.
- Experience with event planning, promotion and execution.
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office; Web content management (using Drupal 7), graphic design (Adobe Creative Suite) and basic HTML skills would be considered assets; Familiarity with digital analytic tracking and reporting.
- Demonstrated writing skills; Collaborative, courteous relationship builder with exceptionally strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Superior organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills required in order to deal effectively with complex tasks and multiple priorities and stakeholders. Demonstrated project planning skills and experience successfully running impactful, high quality, multi-stakeholder events and initiatives an asset.
- Proactive and energetic self-starter dedicated to superior client service and able to successfully manage multiple competing priorities with minimal supervision and direction, who strives to exceed the needs of all stakeholders and partners.
- Lifelong learner: Willingness and ability to learn new marketing and communications skills, tools and platforms to maintain our competitive edge; Knowledge of entrepreneurship, entrepreneurial thinking and/or innovation landscape an asset.
Type of Experience Required:
- 7+ years strategic communications and community engagement and/or stakeholder relations experience.
- Demonstrated expertise in leading integrated marketing communications strategy and planning.
- Experience leading a marketing communications team an asset.
- Experience building websites an asset.
Application Deadline: January 19, 2021.
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the Specialist/Advisor Job Family, Phase II.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website.
About the University of Calgary
- a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation's most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada's top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary has launched an institution-wide Indigenous Strategy in line with the foundational goals of Eyes High, committing to creating a rich, vibrant, and culturally competent campus that welcomes and supports Indigenous Peoples, encourages Indigenous community partnerships, is inclusive of Indigenous perspectives in all that we do.
The University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their professional success while they are here. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.