The Company: Brewer's Supply Group (BSG), a subsidiary of Rahr Corporation, supports the craft beer, wine and distilling industries as a one-stop shop for industry related supplies and ingredients. Rahr Corporation (Rahr) is a family-owned global leader in the production and distribution of barley malt and related brewing supplies in operation since 1847.
JOB SUMMARY: Participate in and manage the effort to generate sales for the products offered by BSG Craft Brewing product groups. This activity is to be conducted diligently to produce enough new profitable business to ensure the growth and profit goals of the company, as well as contact and maintain existing accounts to review their needs. The Director of sales shall work closely with the Vice President of Sales and maintain orderly and consistent contact with Regional Sales Managers. The Director of Sales is to perform, either directly or indirectly, those activities necessary to achieve stated sales goals and objectives and obtain maximum profitability. They will contribute to the formulation, development and implementation of new sales and marketing strategies.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The Director of Sales must have the resolve to maintain goals, objectives, and underlying principles of the company despite personality conflicts or individual personal concerns of employees although common sense and appropriate compassion should prevail.
- Ability to identify business opportunities and concerns with the ability to develop appropriate strategies to address each.
- This position requires a self-starting, motivated person who possesses strong interpersonal skills and the ability work with support personnel.
- This is a dynamic position; it requires an individual who is goal oriented and is committed to the company.
- Plan, develop, execute, and track sales activities in the assigned territory and actively participate in organizing the sales efforts of the sales managers in the reporting territories
- Conceptualize and present effective systems, plans, and policies that bring a structured approach to achieving the sales goals of the group.
- Create a best practice sales process for all business channels
- Offer creative or innovative solutions to specific challenges facing the sales team or the company.
- Gather pertinent industry and competitive data to keep the company informed of new sales opportunities and competition within the Company's market.
- Drive outlined sales initiatives and quotas for the continued development of Company product lines. Coordinate this activity with purchasing to ensure proper levels of inventory.
- Assist in the development of leading indicators to be included in team members' sales plans
- Oversee sales managers and sales staff to ensure that accounts are properly maintained.
- Keep informed on competitors' selling policies, tactics, services and prices offered.
- Review all paperwork required for sales documentation, including call reports and contact results. Review activity report with the Vice-President every week through Salesforce Dashboards.
- Direct and/or participate in trade shows to demonstrate company products and services to potential and current customers.
- Portray a positive professional appearance and serve as a role model for all personnel through the enthusiastic performance of all duties.
- Assist in the development of the annual Commercial Team Cycle Plan.
- Lead the effort to recruit and hire additional sales managers and support staff
- Prepare the annual forecast regarding the sales objectives for the territory and assist in the development of a sales budget for the business unit.
- Participate in the development of effective sales and marketing tools.
- Participate in the establishment of competitive pricing for BSG products.
- Identify and implement relevant training opportunities within the budgeted allowance.
- Serve as a key member of the executive team and participate in the regularly scheduled conference calls producing required reports and contributing to the overall management of the sales group.
- Ensure an economic balance exists between the efforts to generate sales and the financial results.
- Formulate annual travel budget and submit accurate expense reports in a timely manner.
- Monitor actual verses forecasted gross margins of each product sold in each territory.
- This position will require extensive travel to customer locations and events within the territory. Approximately 20%
- 30% out of town weekday travel can be expected
- Eight (8) to ten (10) hour workdays, 5 per week with occasional weekend work, as well as early and/or late weekday meetings with potential customers are required as needed
- Perform all other duties as may be assigned by the President or Vice President.
MINIMUM EDUCATION & WORK REQUIREMENTS:
College Diploma or University Degree in a relevant discipline and a minimum three years' experience in a customer service or selling leadership role.
Minimum 5 years in a commercial selling environment and managing complex contract negotiations and customer dynamics.
Experience with existing selling methods, tactics, and strategies.
Demonstrated ability to hire high performing salespeople
Strong ability to coach sales reps to higher performance
Ability to accurately forecast future sales volumes
Proficient at Target Account Selling
Ability to analyze, establish and execute presales strategy
Skilled at building rapport, opening doors, and understanding business requirements of senior decision makers.
Skilled at providing market recommendations and customer feedback to the executive team.
Ability to elicit needs from key decision makers.
Strong written and oral communication skills.
Ability to influence others.
Strong time management, qualification, and negotiation skills.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with applicable laws.
Must be able to adapt to a changing environment and be able to communicate with all levels of the company. Must be able to perceive the needs of potential customers through conversational interaction and assist with translating those needs into reality and make most people feel comfortable in his presence. Must have the competence to plan and execute strategic sales efforts to gain new customers and an overall grasp on future potential for BSG's markets. Must have knowledge and understanding of company policies and procedures, marketing techniques, market trends, competitive environment, pricing systems, and profit objectives.
Must be prudent, ethical, and credible and use good judgment. Must be goal-oriented and committed to the company and its services and have the ability to meet any type of person(s) with confidence. Must be a team player with integrity and concern for the quality of BSG's services and staff members. Synthesizes complex information to develop reports and make informed decisions.
Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to team needs
Focuses on resolving conflict; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
Must have the ability to read and write English. Must have the ability to compose standard letters with proper format, grammar, punctuation and spelling, using all parts of speech.
Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Actively listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Participates effectively in team and cross-functional meetings.
Must have the ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide using whole numbers and decimals. Must have the ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, commissions, interest and percentages.
Ability to define problems, collect information, establish facts and draw any conclusions.
Should be proficient in Microsoft suite of programs (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook). Should be proficient with Adobe acrobat, web browsers and general social media platforms.
Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.