This position can be either be located in Toronto, ON, Canada or Seattle, WA USA
About the Position
A WatchGuard Technical Writer is responsible for contributing to the development and production of product Help, implementation and setup guides, training content, UI text, API documentation and knowledge base articles in support of all WatchGuard product lines. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with a dedicated team of technical writers, technical trainers, engineers, and the WatchGuard technical support team. The technical writer position reports to the Director of Product Training & Publications.
A Day in the Life of a Technical Writer at WatchGuard:
Arrive at the office, check email, and review the JIRA documentation backlog in your feature area to set the day's priorities. You may first need to install the latest software build or log in to the WatchGuard cloud to explore new functionality, then chat with engineers or the product owner about the new features so you can start developing draft content in Flare. Late morning could find you in a writer meeting to collaborate on improvements being planned to our online help, before you run off to a sprint demo. After lunch, you could write text for a What's New presentation and help another writer review UI text for an upcoming feature. Then, back to your draft help topics, checking files into source control and updating JIRA tasks for the work you completed before you head home.
- Create clear procedures and reference topics on a wide range of networking and security technologies
- Research technical information, write original documentation, and edit and update existing technical product documentation
- Participate in WatchGuard Engineering SCRUM meetings
- Provide suggested UI text that is clear and consistent with all WatchGuard products
- Achieve competency with WatchGuard products and expertise in the feature areas assigned to you
- Contribute to the creation of new training materials, certification exams, and product documentation in a variety of delivery formats
Skills and Qualifications:
- MadCap Flare
- PaintShop Pro, Photoshop, or similar graphics package
- Knowledge of networking technologies (such as firewalls, routers, VLANs, and switches), network security, and experience writing for network administrators
- Version control concepts
- XML, HTML, CSS editing skills
- BA/BS or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Five (5) years technical or equivalent experience in related industry
- Experience with cloud computing, Web Services, SaaS, hypervisors is a plus
- Experience writing video scripts is a plus
- Experience writing REST API reference documentation is a plus
- Experience working with Agile development teams
Why Work for WatchGuard?
At WatchGuard we create smart security, simply done. We're a leader in building cyber security hardware, wireless, and cloud solutions that protect small and midsize businesses, and distributed enterprises worldwide. Our award-winning network security solutions provide layered, enterprise-grade protection that is easy to deploy and manage. Whether you are an industry veteran, or at the beginning of your career, now is an amazing time to work in the security industry, and there's never been a better time to be at WatchGuard.
We love solving the industry's toughest challenges, and our innovation keeps our customers ahead of increasingly sophisticated hackers, which has fueled record revenues. We're heavily reinvesting in the company and driving rapid acceleration across all aspects of our business. As a result, our employee base has nearly doubled in the last three years, organically and through acquisition.
Our company culture places intense focus on our customers and employees. From the newest employee to our CEO, you'll find that each person at WatchGuard embodies our core values: accountability, passion for success, community building, and maintaining a customer focus in all things.
WatchGuard Technologies is privately backed by equity firms Vector Capital and Francisco Partners, and has headquarters in Seattle, Washington, with offices throughout North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Latin America.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are committed to a diverse workforce.
WatchGuard participates in E-verify.