Exciting things are happening at the City of Brampton. Take a look at what employees are working on related to our Term of Council Priorities moving us forward towards The Brampton 2040 Vision.
SENIOR ADVISOR, COMMUNICATIONS
POSTING NUMBER: 103982
HIRING SALARY RANGE: $90,604.00
MAXIMUM OF SALARY RANGE: $113,255.00 PER ANNUM
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Manager, Communication & Client Services, this position is one of a group of technical professionals who provide expert delivery of communication services to internal clients throughout the City. This specialist support ensures consistent high quality, effective communications (internal and public) that increase customer satisfaction, employee engagement and facilitate the successful attainment of corporate-wide objectives.
- Interprets communication needs by working closely with internal clients, and provides expert advice and editorial support in the identification of audiences, the development of messages and the best delivery vehicles. This includes information and promotional material, i.e. print, digital, web, social, audio-visual, and display. The outcome is comprehensive communications to support the implementation of a specific business strategy or objective.
- Produces or oversees the production of communication pieces in support of campaigns, projects and information needs as they develop in the various functional areas of the City. This includes creative conceptualizing, writing, editing, and/or working with other creative professionals to design and print/produce.
- Develop and implement the media elements of communications plans. This includes bringing forward recommendations as a subject matter expert on effective content, timing, style and distribution channels. Identifies and encourages opportunities for positive media coverage.
- Monitor and report in a timely manner on corporate-wide issues to ensure that the appropriate persons (staff, Council, Senior Management) are aware of the status. Interface with staff and external stakeholders and the media in the interest of issues management and resolution, and facilitate the necessary actions. Provide professional support to cross-corporate committees as required.
- Facilitates cross-divisional collaboration and the inclusion of key stakeholders to ensure information presented is accurate and consistent, and that it meets the Corporation's values, objectives and strategic priorities. Identifies and encourages opportunities for positive media coverage.
- Researches and provides expert opinions as a subject matter expert in the field of organizational communications. Brings ideas for change, including implementation of best practices and the development of innovative communication vehicles.
- Responds to inquiries from staff, elected officials, the public and outside agencies regarding corporate services and programs, special events and PR initiatives. Collaborates with and contributes to the overall Strategic Communications team.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Communications, Journalism, English or related subjects
- Minimum of 3 years of organizational communications experience, preferably in the public sector
- Asset if a member of International Association of Business Communicators (IABC) or a similar related professional organization
- Demonstrated success in an account manager or communications consultant position
- Experience dealing with the media on complex issues
- Demonstrated experience in providing communications support to senior management and elected officials
- Understanding of municipal government environment and current issues
- Understands the use of technology and its impact on communication
- Solid English language usage skills
- Has subject matter expertise in the design and delivery of effective communications products and messages. Understands creative design and print, digital and web production
- Uses MS Office, email, internet and other PC tools
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Job status: Permanent
Job Type: Management and Administration
Applications must be received by: February 10, 2021
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at: www.brampton.ca/employment quoting reference # 103982 by February 10, 2021 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement. A criminal record search will be required of the successful candidate to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant's responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you require any accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact via Isarta or 905.874-2150 with your accommodation needs, quoting the job opening ID#, job title. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.