We create the technology to connect the world. Only Nokia offers a comprehensive portfolio of network equipment, software, services and licensing opportunities across the globe. With our commitment to innovation, driven by the award-winning Nokia Bell Labs, we are a leader in the development and deployment of 5G networks.
Our communications service provider customer support more that 6.4 billion subscriptions with our radio networks, and our enterprise customers have deployed over 1,300 industrial networks worldwide. Adhering to the highest ethical standards, we transform how people live, work and communicate. A truly global company, we are 166 nationalities working in more that 118 countries.
Come create the technology to connect the world.
About Nokia Software
Nokia Software is the leading solutions provider in the telecoms software market helping to drive large-scale service and network operations automation and digital business transformation in support of customer migrations to 5G. Built on Nokia's cloud-native Common Software Foundation (CSF), Nokia's multi-vendor and multi-network software solutions enrich and secure user experiences; automate operations and infrastructure; and enable new revenue streams and cost efficiencies.
As a Technical Communication Specialist, you are responsible for researching, writing, maintaining and verifying manuals, guides, and online help projects assigned to you. You install applications, execute command line and user interface tasks, and interview developers and verification team members. From this process, you write information for specific audiences of varying technical skills ranging from developers to end users. In addition, you write or assist in writing solution descriptions and slide sets, as well as suggesting improvements to documentation processes. You collaborate with a small team of technical writers to ensure consistency in style, delivery, and use of tools, and to adhere to schedule. You may also develop, test, and maintain documentation tools and publishing systems for the Technical Communication team, troubleshoot issues, and proactively seek ways to optimize efficiency and quality.
Job Responsibilities & Competencies
- Adhere to documentation plans and develop quality documentation in Agile cycles.
- Write and update installation, administration, deployment, and solution guides, API reference and developer-level guides, and online help sets for customers and channel partners.
- Gather and synthesize technical information from Scrum Team members, Product Owners, and Specifications.
- Install and explore applications to develop topics, ToC maps, and ensure that source files are appropriately ?checked-in? to version management system and processed for desired outcome.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including R&D, Professional Services, Application, Pre-Sales, Support, and Product Owners, to create, review, and complete document deliverables.
- Develop and maintain clear, concise, and accurate information, and ensure content and branding aligns with corporate style and conventions.
- Develop and maintain graphics that are visually engaging and highly usable.
- Test information in peer deliverables and edit them for grammatical correctness, clarity, and compliance with corporate style.
- Assist Product Owners and Marketing teams in editing solution presentations and solution descriptions (outside main responsibility).
- Be comfortable with asking questions and giving support and guidance in matters concerning documentation.
- Peer-review other documentation deliverables as time permits.
- Stay aware of industry trends and best practices, to enhance and evolve documentation models, tools, and processes.
- Ensure deliverables are accessible to internal and external customers.
- Train and guide less experienced writers to ensure team success.
- Act as a general documentation contact for your product family.
Required Minimum Qualifications : (Education, Technical Skills/Knowledge)
- At least 4 years' experience writing in the software field for technical and end-user audiences. Some experience with developer-level documentation (such as API reference guides) is required.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in a technical or communications field.
- Mastery of English, with excellent writing ability and extraordinary attention to detail.
- Experience with information design concepts, including structured writing, with demonstrated ability to design and develop documentation deliverables.
- Familiarity with contextual help.
- Ability to:
- Work well with others and communicate clearly and positively in a collaborative, fast-paced work environment.
- Estimate and plan documentation releases accurately.
- Manage time and projects effectively, juggling multiple projects and deliverables.
- Focus on what is important, with an eye for details that matter.
- Find creative options when faced with complex problems.
- Advocate for the customer with development teams in all aspects of user experience.
- Experience with the software development life cycle.
- Experience with Agile
- using SAFe as the default model.
- Strong work ethic, accountability, motivation, and the desire to produce work that reflects the best of your ability.
Desired Qualifications : (Education, Technical Skills/Knowledge)
- Practical experience with Unix, Linux and Windows environments.
- Practical experience with version control systems (e.g., Git, CVS) and defect-tracking systems (eg., JIRA).
- Proficiency with document and help authoring tools (e.g. Oxygen, Adobe FrameMaker with DITA XML, RoboHelp, Acrobat Professional) and MS Office tools (e.g., Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
- Proficiency with graphic tools (e.g., Paint Shop Pro, Visio, and PowerPoint).
- Experience working with an XML-based semantic markup language.
- Experience in developing documentation using linear and modular methodologies.
- Basic understanding of database technologies and ability to articulate database concepts.
- Basic understanding of Web services technologies (WSDL, XML, JSON, and REST).
- Basic understanding of HTTP request-response protocol.
- Basic understanding of W3C XML Schema (XSD) and JSON schema.
- Basic understanding of the telecom business and application domain.
- Strongly preferred:
- Experience with and interest in XML-based documentation tool chain development (e.g., XML, XSLT, XSL-FO, XPath, Maven, Bamboo, Ant).
- Experience working with and understanding of concepts common to enterprise application servers (e.g., JBoss, WebLogic).
- Experience with Eclipse user assistance.
- Familiarity with web-based technologies, such as XML and HTML.
Imagine creating technology that has the potential to change the world. Working with us, you will have a positive impact on people's lives and help to overcome some of the world's most pressing challenges. We act inclusively and respect the uniqueness of people. At Nokia, employment decisions are made regardless of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. Nokia culture welcomes people as their true selves. Come create the technology to connect the world.
Canada is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce reflective of Canadian society. As a result, we promote employment equity and encourage women, aboriginal persons, persons with a disability or members of a visible minority group to apply.