With more than 60 years of experience, Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) is one of 36 Conservation Authorities in Ontario, created to safeguard and enhance the health and well-being of watershed communities through the protection and restoration of the natural environment and the ecological services the environment provides.
TRCA works to protect the integrity and health of the rivers and creeks in the jurisdiction, develop a system of green and natural spaces that sustains local ecosystems, and advance sustainable practices that improve people's lives within our growing region.
How you will contribute as part of the TRCA team:
The Senior Manager provides leadership in the strategic planning, implementation and issues management for the on-going communications, marketing and events responsibilities of Toronto and Region Conservation Authority. Under the direction of the Chief Financial and Operating Officer (CFOO), this senior management position oversees and advises on cross-disciplinary collaboration within TRCA divisional functions to deliver on all matters pertinent to marketing/communications and events.
The Senior Manager establishes and implements marketing, communications and events goals, strategic plans and related roadmaps, policies and operating procedures associated with the public branding of the conservation authority and its unique environmental role within a growing urbanizing region.
- Creatively develop and evolve a compelling vision for marketing, communications and events for TRCA through a series of projects and initiatives, guided by a comprehensive plan.
- Lead the creation of content-based engagement opportunities through the production and distribution of print (brochures, posters, booklets, etc.) and digital media content (web content, newsletters, videos, etc.).Build the design capacity of staff and products to reinforce a high-quality image of TRCA and a contemporary character to its public clientele.
- Ensure that strategic plans meet the marketing/communications needs of TRCA ensuring that their implementation responds effectively to TRCA's mission and strategic priorities. Interact with TRCA leadership on internal and external operations that are impacted by the capture, storage, processing and dissemination of information.
- Devise organization-wide digital systems for managing engagement with TRCA stakeholders at different levels of relationships
- internally and externally.
- Lead and consult with senior management team and other staff as required on the ongoing management of the TRCA brand, as well as other TRCA administered brands, by building common understanding of brand qualities within the organization. Manage consistent expression of the brand by the organization and monitor and analyze how that brand is perceived by TRCA stakeholders.
- Provide counsel, strategic planning and design/technical support to TRCA divisional/project teams in the development of their marketing/communications plans and project-based products e.g. mapping, advertising, educational videos, posters and reporting.
- Oversee and mentor staff/external vendors in the execution of their responsibilities
- graphic design, digital media, marketing and advertising services, web site design, communication services, content development and distribution.Ensure a positive performance management function for the group and team, build to maintain an effective and efficient work team through hiring, training, motivation and performance evaluation of managers and staff functions.
- Advise and contribute to the preparation of crisis communications plans and protocols and participate in a leadership capacity as needed.
- In consultation with the CFOO, CEO and senior management team establish and implement short- and long-range marketing /communications goals, objectives, policies and operating procedures.
- Provide senior review and approvals for the procurement of major contracts for events, marketing /communication services.
What you will need to succeed:
- 4 years of post-secondary education in corporate communication and marketing, business management and/or related graphics design management.
- 8 years of experience including 5 years at a senior level in progressively more challenging positions in public and/or private sector operations. A blended experience background is preferred for Marketing and Communications.
- Master's degree or supplementary certificate in one or more of the educational areas cited above an asset.
- Communication Management Professional (CMP) certification.
- The proliferation of digital technologies demands that this position remain fluent with new forms media technologies and has the ability to analyze data and apply insights toward furthering organizational objectives. This is compounded by the breadth of TRCA activities which require a strong capacity for systems thinking to enable effective and efficient integration of activities across the organization.
- In a crowded information marketplace, a strong brand (reputation) is an invaluable organizational asset. Knowledge of brand dynamics, how to influence them and how to determine perceptions of the TRCA brand in the marketplace are key to this position.
- Being an excellent communicator includes fundamental skills of writing and presenting along with advanced skill sets such as issues and crisis management, ethical counsel, primary and secondary research, strategic media relations, internal communications, metrics and reporting.
- This position is called upon to build collaborative team structures as well as relate with individuals at all levels of the company. Ethics, sympathy and empathy are vital. Moreover, this position demands aptitude at simplifying the complex, clarifying the ambiguous and adapting to change.
- Business acumen and strategic thinking are valued in any leadership position. As this position helps other TRCA teams with efforts to build stakeholder communication programs, process management skills help design, build and deploy effective systems in a more disciplined and effective manner.
- Change champion taking into consideration both internal and external factors in the development and execution of the group's strategic communications, brand and various communications, marketing and events platforms.
- Ability and willingness to travel within the GTA.
- A valid Ontario ?G' driver's license, in good standing, with access to a reliable vehicle for corporate use.
- Flexible to work evenings and weekends as required.
What TRCA has to offer you:
As part of a progressive team you will have the opportunity make a positive impact to preserving and protecting nature, while maintaining a balance between the natural environment and built environment. Working with experts within our field, you will join a team of colleagues that are committed to TRCA's core values of integrity, collaboration, accountability, respect, and excellence (ICARE).
You will be part of a diverse and inclusive organization that:
- Makes a positive difference in the communities we serve.
- Fosters high performance and collaborative teams.
- Provides continuous learning and development opportunities.
- Offers a comprehensive compensation and benefits program (including Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- Provides unique TRCA Perks.
- Provides flexible work arrangements.
- Offers potential for career growth and advancement.
To apply to this posting, click on the ?Apply? icon. Please submit your resume and cover letter quoting job posting TRCA-013-21 prior to midnight on February 12, 2021.
While the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) thanks all applicants for their interest, only those under consideration will be contacted for interviews. Please be advised successful incumbent(s) who are not presently permanent TRCA employees may be required to undergo a vulnerable sector screening and/or driver's abstract check.
TRCA is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, allowing us to benefit from a wide variety of experiences and perspectives. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and TRCA Policies, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to the TRCA. We welcome applications from all qualified persons.