Date: Feb 5, 2021
Location: Waterloo, CA
Company: Wilfrid Laurier University
Department: Lazaridis School of Bus. & Econ.
Job Type: Limited Term
Full-time/Part-time: Part Time (>910 hrs/year)
Reports to: Manager, Marketing and Events
Employee Group: WLUSA
Application Deadline: February 15, 2021
Requisition ID: 1058
Wilfrid Laurier University is a leading multi-campus university that excels at educating with purpose. Through its exceptional employees, students, researchers, leaders, and educators, Laurier has built a reputation as a world-class institution known for its rich student experience, academic excellence, and global impact. With a commitment to Indigenization and commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, Laurier's thriving community has a place for everyone.
Laurier has more than 19,000 students and 2,100 faculty and staff across campuses in Waterloo and Brantford, as well as locations in Kitchener and Toronto. The university is committed to providing an inclusive workplace and employing a workforce that is reflective of local and national demographics. Our locations are situated on the traditional territories of the Neutral, Anishnawbe, and Haudenosaunee peoples. We recognize the unique heritages of Indigenous peoples and support their intentions to preserve and express their distinctive Indigenous cultures, histories, and knowledge through academic programming and co-curricular activities. Laurier's Centre for Indigegogy is one example of how Laurier honours Indigenous knowledge.
The Lazaridis School of Business & Economics develops leaders with skills in management and economics for a rapidly changing and complex global environment. It seeks to advance knowledge and practices in these fields by supporting both theoretical and applied research. Further, the Lazaridis School strives to serve business and its community by fostering mutually beneficial alliances with leaders
at local, national, and international levels.
The incumbent is responsible for working with the Marketing and Communications team in raising the brand awareness of the Lazaridis School locally, provincially, nationally, and internationally with various marketing and communication campaigns to tell the story of the Lazaridis School, engage prospective students with the Lazaridis School, and inspire students to become Lazaridis School alumni. To this end, the incumbent supports both the strategic plan and the recruitment and enrolment goals of the Lazaridis School. The incumbent works independently and is expected to maintain relationships and coordinate all aspects of their marketing and communication campaigns with little supervision.
The incumbent raises the brand awareness of the Lazaridis School through:
- the execution and reporting of the Lazaridis School's marketing and communications strategy;
- the development and reporting of individual comprehensive marketing and communication campaigns in support of the overall strategy;
- the development of professional and impactful media, including, but not limited to, brochures and print media, websites, digital media, social media, videos, and photography;
- the writing of impactful press releases and other communications;
- the coordination and execution of an integrated digital campaign; and,
- the development of deep relationships with program directors and other campus partners.
The incumbent reports to the Director of Marketing and Communications for the Lazaridis School with a reporting line to the Senior Administrative Officer of the Lazaridis School.
This position has a university-wide mandate and is based at the Waterloo Campus. The incumbent provides services to all campuses, requiring regular interpersonal interactions and collaboration with departments at the Waterloo Campus, the Brantford Campus, the Toronto office and external partners. Special attention is given to ensure equitable service delivery across all locations.
The normal hours of work are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, 28 hours per week. Flexibility in hours will be required, including evening and/or weekend work due to travel, events, and meetings. When possible, the manager will adjust the work schedule so that no more than 28 hours are worked in a week.
Marketing and Communication Strategy (Lazaridis School)
- Propose, implement, maintain, and review a marketing and communication strategy for the Lazaridis School.
- Conduct appropriate market research to continually inform the strategy.
- Develop, review, and revise metrics to assess the effectiveness of the marketing and communication strategy and maintain a database to store these metrics for longitudinal reporting.
- Develop a research-supported methodology using descriptive statistics to assess the metrics of the marketing and communication strategy.
- Develop an action plan to successfully execute the marketing and communication strategy.
- Write quarterly reports on the successful of the marketing and communication strategy using appropriate multimedia elements and statistics.
- Write an annual longitudinal report on the successfulness of the marketing and communication strategy using appropriate multimedia elements and statistics.
- Develop presentations tailored to specific audiences to report on the successfulness of the marketing and communication strategy.
- Provides metrics, rationale, and reports in support of AACSB accreditation.
Marketing and Communication Campaigns (Program Level)
- Engage program directors in the development and execution of specific marketing and communication campaigns that support the goals of each program within the context of the overall Lazaridis School Marketing and Communication Strategy.
- Conduct appropriate market research to inform each campaign.
- Determine and collect metrics to assess the effectiveness of specific marketing and communication campaigns.
- Develop an action plan to successfully execute specific marketing and communication campaigns, including:
- Determining the correct audience, messaging, and tone of the campaign;
- Determining the correct media and location of the campaign materials
- Determining the correct timelines of the campaign; and,
- Determining the correct external corporate partners to engage with to ensure the success of the campaign, including:
- Ensuring that the correct procurement procedures are being followed;
- Negotiating competitive rates for external contracts;
- Ensuring that contracts are properly vetted before sign-off;
- Ensuring that contract terms and conditions are being followed; and,
- Ensuring that external corporate partners are being accountable to the campaign.
- Ensure that all marketing and communication campaigns align with the strategic goals of both the Lazaridis School and Wilfrid Laurier University
- including the mission , vision, and values of the University.
- Ensure that all marketing and communication campaigns do not conflict or compete with each other.
- Prioritize marketing and communication campaigns appropriately while managing the expectations of program directors.
- Ensure that program directors are engaged with each marketing and communication campaign through regular communications and meetings.
- Resolve conflicts that may present themselves in an appropriate and positive manner.
- Supervise and mentor a co-op student to assist in marketing campaigns.
- Write reports on the successfulness of each marketing and communication campaign.
Media Development and Communications
- Develop appropriate, professional, and impactful digital media in support of individual marketing and communication campaigns and the overall strategy, like videos, photography, and graphics.
- Develop appropriate, professional, and impactful print media in support of individual marketing and communication campaigns and the overall strategy, like brochures and exhibits.
- Communicate effective and impactful messaging and information through social media, profiles, and press releases.
- Communicate effective and impactful messaging and information through Laurier's various website platforms while following Laurier's web-styles guide.
- Organize events in support of media development and communications, like photo shoots, interviews, and focus groups.
- Ensure that all media and communications conform to Wilfrid Laurier University's brand standards and style guides.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with colleagues within the Lazaridis School, including, but not limited to the: Academic Areas, Economics Department, Lazaridis Institute, Schlegel Centre, Undergraduate Business Office, and graduate programs like EMTM, MABE, MBA, MFin, MSc, and PhD.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with colleagues within Wilfrid Laurier University, including, but not limited to: CPAM, Enrolment Services, External Relations, Faculty of Graduate and Post-Doctoral Studies, Office of Research Services, and the Toronto Office.
- Develop and maintain positive and professional relationships with external vendors like market research firms, marketing agencies, designers, photographers, printers, and videographers.
Collegiality and Professionalism
- Assist colleagues within the Lazaridis School during high-pressure times to ensure that the business of the School is completed on time; including, support with events and reports.
- Maintain confidentiality around programs, reports, and budgets.
- Maintain a professional appearance and attitude.
- Stay current on the most recent and relevant legislation, policies, best practices, literature, and software, related to the accountabilities and qualifications of the position.
- Ensure that the manager is kept to-date on all important items related to the position through electronic or in-person communication and seek advice when necessary.
Position Grade: SH-08
Rate of Pay: $34.51
- $40.62 per hour
Hours of Work: This is a part-time, limited term position, 28 hours per week. The anticipated end date is June 18, 2021.
This position is eligible for educational equivalencies.
Job Evaluation Factor Scores:
WLUSA/WLU Job Evaluation Factors
Education and Experience
Applied Reasoning and Analytical Skills
Co-ordination and Planning
Responsibility for Others
Impact of Decisions
Multiple Demands and Priorities
Wilfrid Laurier University endeavors to fill positions with qualified candidates who have a combination of education, experience, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position while demonstrating Laurier's Employee Success Factors.
Equity, diversity and creating a culture of inclusion are part of Laurier's core values and central to the Laurier Strategy. Laurier is committed to increasing the diversity of faculty and staff and welcomes applications from candidates who identify as Indigenous, racialized, having disabilities, and from persons of any minority sexual and gender identities. Indigenous candidates who would like to learn more about equity and inclusive programing at Laurier are welcomed to contact the Office of Indigenous Initiatives. Candidates from other equity seeking groups who would like to learn more about equity and inclusive programing at Laurier are welcomed to contact Equity & Accessibility. We have strived to make our application process accessible, however if you require any assistance applying for a position or would like this job posting in an alternative format, please contact Human Resources. Contact information can be found at careers.wlu.ca/content/How-to-Apply-/
Should you be interested in learning more about this opportunity, please visit www.wlu.ca/careers for additional information and the online application system. All applications must be submitted online. Please note, a CV and letter of introduction will be required in electronic form.
Job Segment: Communications, Photography, Marketing Communications, Marketing MBA, Creative, Marketing