Zymeworks is seeking a strategic, seasoned communications professional who is looking to grow her or his career at a people-centric, mission-driven, rapidly evolving company. The Senior Manager, Science and Product Communications is responsible for internal and external corporate communications related to Zymeworks pipeline, products and scientific platforms, and for helping to build global awareness of the company, its mission, culture, and innovative product portfolio. S/he will collaborate with the Senior Leadership Team and internal Functional Leads, and will partner closely with the Senior Director, Corporate Affairs and Investor Relations and the Senior Director, Corporate Communications, to develop and implement communications strategies that reinforce the company's strategy and opportunities. S/he will possess a strong work ethic and a commitment to excellence and innovation.
This position will report to the Senior Director, Corporate Affairs, and will be based in either Vancouver, BC or Seattle, WA.
- Lead the development of all scientific and product communications strategies, programs and materials designed to raise awareness among key stakeholders of the company's clinical and preclinical pipeline and technology platforms
- Lead, draft and deliver external communications related to the company's pipeline and technology, including key messages, press releases, Q&As, using a variety of methods, channels and technologies consistent with best-in-class practices
- Develop and manage evergreen communication materials including product and technology backgrounders, summaries, and descriptions.
- Partner with R&D to develop a strategy for and manage the execution of non-clinical scientific presentations at major industry conferences
- Collaborate with Med Affairs and Clinical Development on the development of clinical presentations at major industry conferences
- Partner with Medical Affairs to develop effective disease awareness campaigns to highlight unmet medical need in specific therapeutic areas
- Partner with Commercial, Medical Affairs, and Clinical teams to develop and execute on robust communications plans to support product launch and marketing strategies.
- Support the media relations function, including developing strategies tailored to raising awareness of the company's pipeline and technology and prepare media interview briefing documents as required.
- Partner with Clinical Development to support clinical trial awareness through the development and execution of related communications plans.
- Coordinate with key internal functions, including Commercial, Clinical Development/R&D, Medical Affairs and Medical Communications to identify key pipeline and product milestones, disease awareness days and medical congresses, and develop communications plans to leverage them.
- Develop, implement and maintain appropriate metrics to monitor oncology pipeline and product visibility.
- Raise internal awareness of and enthusiasm for company's pipeline and products.
- Assist with establishing Corporate Communications goals, plans, processes and budgets, as they relate to scientific and product communications.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Embody and champion Zymeworks' values: Act with Integrity. Collaborate. Care.
- Adhere to the highest degree of professional standards and strict confidentiality on matters that require discretion.
Education and Experience
Bachelor's degree in the life sciences, with a minimum of seven years successful work in corporate communications or public relations agencies, including at least three years of experience in pharma/biotech product communications (oncology product experience preferred) or an equivalent combination of education and experience; advanced scientific degree (PharmD, MD, MSc or PhD) a plus, but not required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Proven interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively as a member of a cross-functional team. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Strong leadership skills with the proven ability to manage, develop and empower employees.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage concurrent deliverables and work effectively in a challenging, milestone-driven environment.
- Direct experience developing and executing product communications strategies and disease awareness campaigns at a pharma/biotech company or healthcare-focused PR agency.
- Outstanding written, verbal, and presentation skills with proven track-record of translating complex scientific and clinical concepts into powerful corporate messages.
- Proven ability to work effectively and confidently with senior-level executives, managing tight deadlines and executing under pressure.
- Strong collaborative skills with proven success influencing external and internal groups, contributing to cross functional teams and coordinating with PR agencies and vendors.
- Understanding of FDA and SEC regulations impacting communications.
- Highly independent and motivated with the ability to think strategically and execute tactically in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to effectively use appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods to influence, motivate and develop mutually beneficial relationships and outcomes.
- Sound business acumen with a practical, results-oriented management style that can translate innovative, creative strategies and conceptual thinking into action plans.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience working with multimedia communications platforms.
- Detail-oriented with proven ability to multi-task, prioritize, and manage complex projects.
- Must be flexible and excited to adapt to a fast-paced, fast-growing company.