The Faculty of Social Work is currently seeking a Full-time Limited Term Communications Advisor for approximately 1 year.
This position reports to the Manager, Communications and Marketing, and will create variety of communications materials and assist with the implementation of various communications plans. The advisor will work with the communications team to promote Faculty of Social Work initiatives through a variety of content marketing strategies, on a variety of online platforms.
The incumbent will combine strong writing ability and a flair for storytelling with a proven ability to create content that connects and engages with stakeholders on various social media platforms and website properties. The Communications Advisor will possess a keen appetite and aptitude for new and emerging content marketing trends and approaches.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Researches, interviews and produces content for faculty websites, social media platforms as well as online institutional online and printed applications
- Editing and curating written content on the Faculty of Social Work website, providing edited content to the Digital Communications Specialist for graphic design and posting on online properties
- Internal communications, including the creation of faculty newsletters, and group emails
- Planning and executing some special events with the FSW and alumni and communications team
- Utilizing various communication tools comfortably and effectively. Targets content appropriately to the many different audiences
- Effectively manages projects on time, on budget and aligned with the faculty's communication goals
- Takes initiative to identify areas for improvement and potential solutions
- Works in conjunction with Manager, Communications and Marketing on the development and implementation of strategic, internal and external long and short-term communication plans
- Work with digital communications specialist and communications manager to update faculty websites and news platforms
- Work with digital communications specialist and colleagues across the province to ensure all content reflects faculty and university's key messages and brand
- Assist with the development of marketing and/or promotional collateral, for both print and digital applications, promotional items, and templates (evites, newsletters, posters), as required, including production and delivery of materials
- Assist or lead committees in executing communications and marketing of special events including: Student Orientation, Research Symposiums, Program Information Sessions, and Convocation
- Assist with special events, alumni outreach campaigns etc. as an important member of the faculty¿s Advancement Hub. This could include helping with special events etc. as required
- Manage Calendar of Events
- Proactively develop and maintains excellent relationships with faculty members, advancement team members, staff, suppliers, students and other target audiences as required
- Supports the training of academic staff and students in utilizing official design templates
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree or diploma in communications, journalism or related field
- 2-3 years of experience writing and creating compelling content for a wide variety of internal and external audiences for online, social media and print formats
- 3-5 years of experience in communications, public relations or a related setting
- Excellent writing ability, with a flair for storytelling
- Superior editing and proofreading skills with high attention to detail
- Smart phone photography and videography skills with basic editing
- Knowledge and basic working ability with Adobe Creative Suite programs including PhotoShop and InDesign
- Experience in interviewing and working with subject matter experts, with a proven ability to translate complex concepts and jargon into accessible communications
- Ability to plan and execute small to medium marketing and communications projects from end-to-end is an important asset
- Demonstrated ability to remain at the forefront of current digital publishing technologies and awareness of the latest trends and tools in social media and digital content management is an important asset.
- Knowledge of web content management platforms such as Drupal is an asset
- Respect for confidentiality
- Effective multi-tasking skills are used to juggle and prioritize multiple projects
- Experience with event promotion
- Results oriented with the ability to work to deadline in a fast-paced environment with constantly shifting priorities
Application Deadline: February 19, 2021
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the Specialist/Advisor Job Family, Phase II.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website.
About the University of Calgary
- a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation's most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada's top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary has launched an institution-wide Indigenous Strategy in line with the foundational goals of Eyes High, committing to creating a rich, vibrant, and culturally competent campus that welcomes and supports Indigenous Peoples, encourages Indigenous community partnerships, is inclusive of Indigenous perspectives in all that we do.
The University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their professional success while they are here. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.