In accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values, and strategic directions of Provincial Health Services Authority patient and employee safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at PHSA, and as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
The Communications Specialist assists the Manager in planning, coordinating and implementing the annual communications plan for BCCHR including identifying issues, coaching media spokespersons, planning media events and public and communication relations, social media, production and coordination of internal and external publications, and the coordination of special events and external affairs. In addition, the Communications Specialist contributes to web site and intranet development.
1. Participates as a member of BCCHR's Communications team to ensure quality and consistency in writing, production and delivery of messages throughout BCCHR. Works collaboratively with other members of the Communications team to respond accurately and strategically to local media and community inquiries and issues.
2. Researches, writes, edits and produces diverse communication materials such as articles, newsletters, bulletins, web publishing, news releases, speeches, briefing notes, brochures, pamphlets, backgrounders, special features, presentations, social media content and other materials, in collaboration with other Communication team members, on issues of importance to both internal and external stakeholders. Maintains currency of contact lists such as media and other partner organizations and stakeholder groups.
3. Co-ordinates the production and distribution of external publications such as annual reports, patient information booklets and brochures through methods such as determining content in conjunction with the Manager and other Communications staff, researching, writing articles, and working with others such as designers, photographers and printers.
4. Develops and maintains excellent relationships with the media. Initiates and manages pro-active media relations activities to highlight BCCHR achievements and enhance reputation with stakeholders.
5. Addresses media relations issues including responding to requests for information and interviews. Addresses and triages queries from the public and other stakeholders, often acting as first point of contact for external audience members.
6. Monitors and collects news coverage items about BCCHR and its related concerns. Distributes news coverage items to various audiences, identifies potential areas of issues or crisis management and alerts the appropriate parties.
7. Develops and maintains a database of media inquiries and key spokespeople, and prepares regular reports such as activity reports.
8. Provides media training for BCCHR spokespersons.
9. Contributes to the development and content management of BCCHR's web site and social media accounts.
10. Co-organizes and manages events such as campaigns, conferences, and lecture series.
11. Writes and presents public speaking engagements to external stakeholders, as requested.
12. Liaises with stakeholders, including management team members, directors, managers, physicians and other experts within BCCHR to develop a broad understanding of important issues, challenges and strategic directions being undertaken. Fosters open dialogue between key stakeholders and communicates messages clearly and concisely to promote awareness of initiatives and contribute to a positive reputation for BCCHR and PHSA.
13. Participates as a member of various committees throughout BCCHR and PHSA to provide and collect information regarding communication issues.
14. Shares knowledge with fellow team members and others internal and external to BCCHR for the purposes of communication, high performance teamwork and continual quality improvement to support an innovative culture and a learning organization.
15. Participates in the implementation of quality improvement programs to ensure services are provided in the most efficient and effective manner by ensuring standards are aligned with the organization's mission and strategic plan and the standards set by the Canadian Council on Health Services Accreditation (CCHSA).
16. Maintains an awareness of new developments and trends in corporate communications through literature review, contact with peers at other organizations, industry advisor groups, professional associations and attendance at seminars, workshops and education programs.
17. Performs other related duties as assigned.
A level of education, training and experience equivalent to an undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline such as a Degree in Journalism, Public Relations or Communications, combined with at least five years of experience.
Ability to work as part of a high performance team. Superior journalistic business writing skills and the demonstrated ability to create compelling publications. Ability to contribute to the development, implementation and evaluation of operational and strategic communication plans. Ability to meet tight deadlines and work under pressure. Skill and proficiency in organizational electronic communication technology, desktop publishing and web-based technology practices. Ability to plan, organize, set, accomplish and measure objectives and results. Ability to set priorities and be results-oriented. Ability to remain calm, alert and high functioning under stressful situations. Ability to handle highly confidential and sensitive issues with skill, tact and diplomacy. Ability to establish good working relationships with internal and external stakeholder groups and partners in routine and controversial situations. Ability to carry out the duties of the position with a high degree of ethical and professional behaviour. Physical ability to carry out the duties of the