Public Relations Consultant
2 March 2021
- Full Time
Midhurst, ON L9X 1N6 CA (Primary)
The Public Relations Consultant is responsible for the co-ordination of varying forms of marketing/communication for the purpose of fostering and maintaining a positive image for the County of Simcoe for a variety of external constituencies as well as for internal communities.
Anticipated Duration of Contract: 18 months, or as extended.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (not listed in order of priority)
1. Working with the Service Simcoe team, create and format newsletters: County Council Update, Internal staff newsletter, and other newsletters.
2. Create educational print or other publications. In conjunction with the Manager, Public Relations, develop and maintain a corporate calendar for all external print and advertising requirements by date. Develop brand consistency through ?families? of publications for departments. Based on agreed upon requirements for departments' individual print or other publications needs, prepare specific graphic design elements to complement appropriate family.
3. Design advertising layouts enterprise-wide and develop related marketing materials.
4. Provide visual media support as required including photography and videography. Conceptualize, plan and execute small to large video projects with both internal and external stakeholders.
5. Create social marketing materials
- prepare draft designs for campaign material, source most appropriate print solutions, track history of campaign material to maintain brand consistency.
6. Plan and execute integrated marketing and advertising campaigns including print, digital (social, display, video), radio and television. Provide clear and concise reporting on all campaign metrics and adjust campaigns to ensure optimal performance.
7. Create and manage social media advertising campaigns across the County of Simcoe's social media channels including Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube and Twitter.
8. Assist in planning, design and execution of social marketing programs and strategies, create graphics and other media assets as required.
9. Uphold corporate standards, visual identity and branding throughout the Corporation.
10. Support maintenance of social media channels to ensure timely, relevant and appropriate content by contributors, and through corporate handles.
11. Research for articles and stories.
12. Write articles and stories for printed material.
13. Provide editorial and proof-reading for copy.
14. Participate in committees as required.
15. Perform other duties as assigned which may include responsibilities in relation to the delivery of Service Simcoe Services for the County of Simcoe.
16. Ensure compliance with Provincial and County occupational health and safety legislation, regulations, policies and procedures.
17. Ensure confidentiality is maintained in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act or other related and applicable legislation.
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS AND CERTIFICATION
- Superior knowledge of all aspects of Marketing and Communications for a complex, multi-faceted organization achieved through a degree or diploma in a relevant discipline such as English, Professional Writing, Journalism, Communications, Marketing, Public Relations or related field or equivalent education and experience.
- Strong computer-application skills required: (1) Microsoft Office
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint, (2) Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, Premiere) (3) website layout applications.
- Strong advertising skillset including copywriting, design and an understanding of key metrics.
- Strong written and oral communication skills: (1) print (2) web-based.
- Strong research skills.
- Editorial, copywriting and proof-reading skills.
- Experience in corporate branding projects.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills, with the ability to provide creative solutions with enthusiasm as well as quality customer service.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects under tight deadlines.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Digital photography and editing skills.
- Digital videography and editing skills. Experience with Sony equipment an asset.
- Project management skills.
- Public relations skills.
- Ability to think and act in a political and community service environment in order to champion the mission and values of the County.
- An understanding of multimedia technology and related best practices and benchmarking activities within other organizations will be considered an asset.
- Class G Driver's License in good standing and reliable vehicle to use on corporate business.
- Minimum three (3) years' experience in similar communications role including writing, editing, researching for publications, print material and new media technologies, media relations, marketing/copy writing, and project management.
- Experience in graphic design and layout.
- Experience with a broad variety of multimedia formats including the web and PowerPoint presentations will be considered an asset.
- Experience with advertising, with an emphasis on digital advertising, is considered an asset.
- Moderate physical effort associated with this position
- i.e. lifting of boxes, and loading event equipment.
- May be exposed to some stressful communication situations from time to time.
- Typical office environment. Virtual/remote work options during the pandemic (but must remain flexible as the pandemic continues).
- This position is regularly required to work in addition to and outside of standard business hours.
- Weekend hours required.
- Some events may take place outdoors.
- Storage shed where supplies/promotional items are stored can be dusty and dirty.
The County of Simcoe thanks all applicants for their interest in this opportunity, but please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Personal information provided is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act (2001) and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.