Public Relations Consultant
- Communications and Events
2 March 2021
- Full Time
Midhurst, ON L9X 1N6 CA (Primary)
The Public Relations Consultant is responsible for the co-ordination of varying forms of communication for the purpose of fostering and maintaining a positive image for the County of Simcoe for a variety of external constituencies as well as for internal communities. The Public Relations Consultant provides writing, media relations and social media services to internal and external clients, strategic planning, co-ordination and execution/support of Communications, Public Relations and Event initiatives, and Work functions and tasks are often highly confidential and support political direction.
Anticipated Contract Duration: 18 months, or as extended.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (not listed in order of priority)
1. Co-ordinate communications and public relations projects and campaigns, including strategic planning, development, execution and reporting for initiatives to engage audiences.
2. Provide editorial and proof-reading for copy.
3. Working with the Service Simcoe team, create and format newsletters: County Council Update, Internal staff newsletter, and other newsletters.
4. Create educational print/digital or other publications. In conjunction with the Service Simcoe team, develop brand consistency through ?families? of publications for departments. Based on agreed upon requirements for departments' individual print or other publications needs, prepare specific graphic design elements to complement appropriate family.
5. Create social media materials
- prepare draft designs for campaign material, source most appropriate print solutions, track history of campaign material to maintain brand consistency.
6. Assist in planning, design and execution of social marketing programs and strategies.
7. Uphold corporate standards, visual identity and branding throughout the Corporation.
8. Support and maintain website and corporate intranet.
9. Maintain communications web pages.
10. Maintain social media channels to ensure timely, relevant and appropriate content by contributors, and through corporate handles.
11. Execute digital and social media strategies to promote and engage internal and external audiences through social channels
12. Maintain media monitoring of local and regional press outlets.
13. Provide support to the Public Relations Manager for media relations including the development of strategic messaging, media training/coaching and co-ordination of media interviews
14. Provide support in identifying and co-ordinating communication response to media and social media issues, politically sensitive files, and emergency/crisis situations
15. Provide support for organizing and executing public relations events.
16. Research for articles and stories.
17. Provide professional and creative writing services for various communication materials, including releases, speaking notes, website copy, newsletters, fact sheets and corporate letters, among other writing services
18. Participate in committees as required.
19. Perform other duties as assigned which may include responsibilities in relation to the delivery of Service Simcoe Services for the County of Simcoe.
20. Ensure compliance with Provincial and County occupational health and safety legislation, regulations, policies and procedures.
21. Ensure confidentiality is maintained in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act or other related and applicable legislation.
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS AND CERTIFICATION
- Superior knowledge of all aspects of Communications for a complex, multi-faceted organization achieved through a degree or diploma in a relevant discipline such as Communications, Public Relations or related field or equivalent education and experience.
- Strong computer-application skills required: (1) Microsoft Office
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint, (2) Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign (3) website layout applications.
- Strong written and oral communication skills: (1) print (2) web-based.
- Editorial, copywriting and proof-reading skills
- Strong social media and digital communications ability
- Strategic planning and concept development
- Campaign, project and event development, co-ordination and management skills
- Experience co-ordinating social media, digital, and website programs/initiatives for multiple audiences
- Strong research skills.
- Experience in corporate branding projects.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills, with the ability to provide creative solutions with enthusiasm as well as quality customer service.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects under tight deadlines.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Digital photography and editing skills.
- Public relations skills.
- Ability to think and act in a political and community service environment in order to champion the mission and values of the County.
- An understanding of multimedia technology and related best practices and benchmarking activities within other organizations will be considered an asset.
- Class G Driver's License in good standing and reliable vehicle to use on corporate business.
- Minimum three (3) years' experience in similar communications or public relations role including writing, editing, researching for publications, print material and new media technologies, media relations, copy writing, social media, events and project/campaign management.
- Foundational experience in graphic design and layout.
- Experience with a broad variety of multimedia formats including the web, social media, video production and presentation applications will be considered an asset.
- Moderate physical effort associated with this position
- i.e. lifting of boxes, and loading event equipment.
- May be exposed to some stressful communication situations from time to time.
- Typical office environment
- virtual/remote work options during the pandemic (but must remain flexible as the pandemic continues
- Requires discretion and confidentiality due to political environment and nature of work
- This position is regularly required to work in addition to and outside of standard business hours
- Weekend hours required
- Some events may take place outdoors.
- Storage shed where supplies/promotional items are stored can be dusty and dirty.
The County of Simcoe thanks all applicants for their interest in this opportunity, but please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Personal information provided is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act (2001) and will be used to determine eligibility for employment.