BC Care Providers Association (BCCPA) is a non-profit association representing service providers in long-term care and assisted living in British Columbia. Through our operating arm EngAge BC, the association also represents the interests of B.C.'s vital independent living and home health care sectors. Further information can be located on our site bccare.ca.
BCCPA will provide orientation, onboarding, training, and coaching for the candidate chosen for the Digital Media and Communications Specialist position. If you are a passionate communicator looking ?to make a difference,? and have a varied skilled set with an energetic, enthusiastic, and self-motivated approach to your work, please apply.
What We Offer
- Flexible work arrangements and remote work during COVID-19
- Extended health & dental benefits
- Flexible health spending account
- Employee RRSP matching
- Training & professional development opportunities
The Digital Media and Communications Specialist reports to the VP, Public Affairs and is responsible for supporting the development and timely delivery of internal and external communications. The position plays a vital role in keeping BCCPA's members, diverse stakeholder groups, and the media aware of the Association's policy positions, programs and services. The role will support the organization's overall communications and will require working closely with several members of the BCCPA/EngAge BC team.
The typical work week will be spent on a combination of media relations, internal and external communications
- including email newsletters, social media posts on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn, posting updates in WordPress, drafting and editing written and visual materials. Story-telling or journalistic abilities will be put to good use. Experience preparing infographics or basic photo editing skills will be an asset.
This position is ideal for individuals looking to work in a fast-paced and collegial workplace with colleagues who provide superior strategic insight and policy directions for B.C.'s growing seniors' health sector.
Duties and Responsibilities
Media Relations Coordination:
1. Support proactive media relations, including presenting story pitches and arranging interviews with BCCPA staff or members.
2. Track media stories of significant interest to the BC seniors' sector, or those working in the long-term care sector.
3. Provide media relations support leading up to and at BCCPA online and in-person events (when permissible).
Internal and External Communications:
1. Develop internal and external communications as assigned to engage targeted audiences; research, develop and coordinate publishing of original website stories and content; maintain accurate, up-to-date content, as well as initiate website improvements.
2. Develop new content and manage the Association's social media presence on Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and Facebook.
3. Manage EngAge BC and Route65 social media channels including creating and maintaining online ad campaigns.
4. Track and analyze website and social media channel performance and optimize accordingly.
5. Develop print and electronic marketing materials such as invitations, posters, html links, brochures, and flyers, working with suppliers as needed.
6. Manage and regularly update stakeholder e-distribution databases.
Writing and Editing Materials:
1. Compile information and write several collateral materials including presentations, briefing notes, news releases, speeches, brochures, backgrounders, newsletters, profiles, bios, articles for publications and websites to support the Association objectives.
2. Assist with the development of board presentations and other corporate communications assets.
Communications Support and Advice:
1. Provide advice and support to staff on communication strategies to ensure a consistent approach across the organization.
2. Prepare the Association's spokespeople for interview.
Core Competencies: Knowledge, Abilities and Skills
Knowledge in the following areas considered an asset:
- General understanding of the three levels of government (federal, provincial, municipal), and political parties in B.C.
- Understanding of the parts of B.C.'s seniors health and wellness sector such as Home Health, Assisted Living, Long-Term Care, or Independent Living
- Familiarity with social media trends and ability to engage audiences online
- Planning and implementing stakeholder, public and media relation strategies and programs.
- Ability to draft news releases, brochures, publications, and issue updates, briefing notes, speeches, and presentations.
- Ability to respond to media inquiries and issues in a timely and professional manner.
- Ability to flag potential stakeholder/public concerns.
- Ability to quickly establish priorities and deadlines.
- Superior writing, editing and computer skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills.
Valued Skills & Traits:
- Friendly and Team-Oriented
- Clear, Effective and Proficient Communicator
- Good at Planning
- Relationship Builder
- Problem Solver
- Effective Time Management Skills
- MS Office Suite, WordPress, Graphic Design & Video Development Applications
Experience and Education
1. Degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, or a related discipline.
2. A minimum three-year work-related experience with exemplary communication skills.
Disclaimer: Duties and responsibilities described here are not a comprehensive list and additional tasks may be assigned or the scope of the job may change as necessitated by business demands and at the discretion of the Employer. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.